Anyone else nervous to go to the gym? I joined, now what!!!!

JenniferRN
on 6/10/13 4:52 am - NJ
VSG on 01/22/13 with

So I promised myself that when I lost 100 lbs. I would start to go to the gym. It is a lovely gym with a nice crowd, it is part of the hospital system that I work for.  There is a pool and all kinds of equipment and classes.  I went today and joined. I had gone there years ago and they still have my old picture on file.  The girl at the desk marveled at how much better I looked.  BUT I am SCARED!!  I just feel like the fat girl out of breath on the gym equipment.  I go on Thursday for my "evaluation" and even though I can run 1.7 miles on my treadmill and ride my bike 10 miles, I still feel very out of shape.  Any advice?

frisco
on 6/10/13 5:08 am, edited 6/10/13 5:11 am

Go at your own pace and keep it fun and enjoyable......

Work it into your day/week so it "fits" in best with the least amount of disruption and you get a good system going.....

Why do I say this......

Gyms for most of us are temporary and not sustainable. Learn to do activities that you can do for the rest of your life and not burn out on......

Don't get me wrong..... stepping up exercise for WL is the best !!! Do it ! Go for it !!!

I think your 1.7 miles runs and 10 mile bike rides are an excellent baseline and adding the gym will be great....

Just remember, to sustain it can't become an overwhelming chore.

The "trap" people fall into is that you get used to eating a certain way when active, than when you stop being as active and still eat the same way..... than bad news on the scale.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

JenniferRN
on 6/10/13 6:43 am - NJ
VSG on 01/22/13 with

Great advice, thanks!

sarapilar
on 6/10/13 1:06 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

Great advice!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Keith L.
on 6/10/13 5:09 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I would suggest hiring a trainer or usually for new members most gyms offer a special two for one or three for one price on training sessions. I don't think you need a trainer necessarily for long term, but just to have them show you how to properly do the exercises and use the equipment.

I would split your days between cardio and weight training as they are both equally important. Actually for fat burn weight training is more important. Chose a simple but effective work out routine that works your legs, back, stomach, and arms in different sets. A typical week for me looks something like this:

M - Chest and Shoulders, short high intensity cardio (suicides and burpees)

these exercises include bench press (4 reps of 10), overhead shoulder press (4 reps of 10), standing barbell row (4 reps of 10), and tricep pushdowns (4 reps of 10). do 1 set of suicides before starting, after the tricep pushdowns do 10-20 burpees and then 2 more sets of suicides. 

T - Legs, Back and Biceps in the morning, running in the evening (or vice versa)

these exercises start with squats (4 reps of 10), then leg extensions (4 reps of 10), standing calf raises (4 reps of 10), lat pulldowns (4 reps of 10), seated row (4 reps of 10), barbell curls (4 reps of 10), and dumbell curls (4 reps of 10)

W - Sprints (10 sets of 50-60 yards as fast as you can run)

Th - Chest and Shoulders again

F - Legs Back and Biceps and Running

S - Running

S - Rest

I was working out like crazy before this and making no progress at all. Once a friend switched me to this the fat started melting off and I am really starting to see tone and definition. Its a tough work out but after a week of it, it is a very comfortable work out that keeps giving me results. Every 3rd weeek we go to heavier weights and fewer repetitions.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

JenniferRN
on 6/10/13 6:45 am - NJ
VSG on 01/22/13 with

WOW! Excellent routine, thanks for the advice!

Keith L.
on 6/10/13 10:42 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting you Ollie this routine right out of the gate, but it only took me a week to learn to enjoy this routine. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Esquared
on 6/10/13 5:10 am, edited 6/10/13 5:12 am - CA
VSG on 06/06/13

I say find a class you like and stick with it for a while. You can build up that way. When I first lost 100 lbs, I found Spinning to be the best thing since artisan cheese - loved it. I also loved the support of people in the classes-- all shapes, sizes, levels of fitness--working toward the same goal. I was definitely intimidated at first, and I also had to spend the first night after spinning in a tub filled with cold water, but DAMN it was worth it! In fact, my first gym goal once I hit about a 60 pound loss it to get my ass back up on the spinning bike. Anyway, I highly suggest finding a class or two that you enjoy and that you can commit to - don't be scared! You have accomplished SO MUCH! smiley

"I am what I am not yet." - Maxine Greene

JenniferRN
on 6/10/13 6:47 am - NJ
VSG on 01/22/13 with

I would love to spin, don't think I have enough confidence for that but I am looking forward to Zumba and water arobics! Thanks for the advice!

jenn227
on 6/10/13 6:26 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Are you going to a virtua health & fitness?  That's where I go and I LOVE it!  Don't be afraid, and you don't have to start doing suicides, etc right away lol!  I actually started out doing aqua classes (before I had surgery).  They are really fun and can get you moving without killing your knees, etc.  I now still do an aqua zumba class, but I also do regular zumba and piloxing and also run/walk the track and do weight training on off days.  There are people of all different ages, sizes and activity levels at the gym, so I never feel out of place.

Once you get in a routine, you'll hate to miss it!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views