The sleeve and post-op flu, bugs, and tummy aches...

christine500
on 7/3/13 10:46 am

This is where my fear comes in.  Now when I have an upset stomach I just bru**** off, and think I will be better in the morning.  When I throw up I assume it is because I ate something wrong.  But what about after the sleeve?  I am a little bit of a worrier and hypochondriac. I can just see myself panic each and every time I have a stomach bug or throw up.  A fever will probably send me in panic mode as well, and a muscle strain to the E.R.

How do you discern when to worry and when to realize it is just part of normal life?  Will I have to mention to each and every doctor I see after the sleeve that I had that surgery done?  How long after surgery do you have to worry about the possible complications of surgery?  

grayC
on 7/3/13 11:06 am
VSG on 05/01/13
I literally caught my hubbys head cold/coughing fit bug he had a week after surgery...
I was SOOO panicked that I was going to bust open my staple line..but all was OK..
And the further you get out from surgery the safer it will be...
If you get a stomach bug w/your new stomach once you healed, it will be like your regular stomach..

lucy2e
on 7/4/13 1:42 am - Laurel, MD

Your surgeon gives you his contact info for a reason - they are very good at sorting out symptoms of stomach viruses and real problems.  You aren't expected to be an expert!  

Since being sleeve - I really don't throw up...  I have just a couple of times - and they were from vitamins.  My sleeve hated the bariatric vitamins, wouldn't tolerate them and would send them back out in a hurry.  I have had a stomach virus a couple of times in the 2 years since being sleeved, and haven't thrown up with it - felt queezy and ill, but didn't throw up - resulted in diarrhea instead.   

Post-op over time you will learn your new stomach and won't panic with everything, it will be your new normal.  You will know it, just like you know your stomach now. 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

happyteacher
on 7/4/13 2:39 am

I didn't toss my cookies until about 18 months out and after eating a burger way too fast.  Puking was different.  Preop, I was very good at vomiting.  I could tell a good minute before, never had trouble making it to a restroom, and everything would come up easily.  Now it is totally different.  My stomach had to really, really work to vomit that mess up.  It felt like it would get stuck in the esophogus, and it took a couple hours to work through puking that burger up.  And it hurt.  Now, if it was the stomach flu and I didn't have anything in my stomach I don't know if it would have been different or easier.  Overall though, it was Ok.  Not that I am excited to puke again, but clearly I still can :(  Nothing to worry about.

I also was nauseous right out of surgery with a little dry heaving-- scared me, but all was good.  That didn't last very long though.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 7/4/13 2:39 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Everything feels really exactly the same as before the sleeve. You will recognize the same symptoms and cues as to your body and how you feel with a bug or without. And yes, whenever I see a new doc I tell them I have had a sleeve to which they say, a bypass? And I say no, a sleeve...and then have to explain it...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

christine500
on 7/4/13 10:03 am

Thank you all for your replies.  ♥

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views