Do you regret cutting your hair due to hairloss?

Christina_G
on 7/9/13 6:04 am - Raytown, MO
VSG on 02/19/13

Hello Fellow OHers!!!

My hair is falling out like crazy, I have (had) very thick hair so it's not very noticeable to others. BUT I do have a couple of (small) bald spots and my hair is just looking thin and stringy. It comes out by the handfulls. lol It's not very long to begin with, just below my shoulders. My question is if you did cut your hair because of this, do you regret doing so? Or do you wish you would have just waited it out? I'm trying to decide if I should cut it or not. I love having longer hair and being able to put it up but with it looking the way it does it is always just in a pony tail. :) I know that it's JUST hair and it will grow back but my hair has always grown very slow which is why it is tough for me to make this decision.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Christina

SW: 317

CW: 227

With God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26

Starting Weight: 317.2; Goal Weight: 160; Surgery Date: 2/19/13

gonersmom
on 7/9/13 6:27 am
Hi Christina,
I didn't have really long hair at the time of my surgery, but I did go a bit shorter when I did have surgery. My thoughts were (and still are), if you keep it long it will always be at different lengths as it grows out which could be a hassle.

I too variate between long and shorter styles. I'm not sure which is easier to deal with.....wash and go is great with shorter styles, but the 'don't have time to deal with I'll just throw it in a pony' of longer hair is awesome too.

Decisions, decisions. LOL Do you take Biotin? I found that it was helpful for me. I always had thick fast growing hair, and it seemed to increase both for me over these past 2 years.

Best wishes in this journey.
Anne

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
Lauren Vento
on 7/9/13 7:27 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

I haven't cut my hair.  It is horribly thin now, but its growing back.  I would say NOT to cut it.  This isn't like chemo, its not going to be super noticeable to anyone but you.

Certified Life Coach & WLS Support Coach

zra
on 7/9/13 7:43 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

I cut mine preemptively before it really started falling out, and I'm glad I did. It has fallen out like crazy for three months now, and having it in short layers makes it much easier to style it so that it looks fuller. Good luck!

HW: 363  SW: 340  

grayC
on 7/9/13 7:44 am
VSG on 05/01/13
My hair started falling out after the birth of my oldest 18 yrs ago..
Since then I keep it fairly shot it just looks fuller and thicker to me..I wear it in an inverted bob...

horrible_monster
on 7/9/13 8:06 am
VSG on 02/27/13

Got my pixie cut about two weeks ago and I regret nothing. Everything is better now; if nothing else, the shed hairs aren't so long and irritating to clean out of the bathtub etc. 

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

happyteacher
on 7/9/13 8:40 am

Yep, the shower didn't look like it belonged to a Wookie suffering from hair loss!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

horrible_monster
on 7/9/13 2:44 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

I called taking a shower "drowning Cousin It" due to the residual hair-carnage.

Unlike a lot of folks posting, I have SUPER fine hair, and not much of it at the best of times. I was really worried about hair loss because I have never had hair to spare. The pixie cut helped me keep my confidence about my appearance.

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

happyteacher
on 7/9/13 8:38 am

No, very very glad I cut it.  I also had super thick hair, and others couldn't notice.  The shorter hair brought out the curl and made it appear much thicker then it really was.  Even today it is not as thick as it used to be and still curlier than all get out, but it is not thin anymore either.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

smallboned1
on 7/9/13 11:46 am - CA

I take Biotin everyday, I bought mine in Costco. I'm 5 months out now and I'm glad I went to a shorter style.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views