Maybe Something is Wrong with Me

Jus1nita
on 10/5/13 3:49 pm - TX
VSG on 09/23/13

I'm ending my 2nd week, and will start my 3rd week on Monday.  I'm hearing so many stories of eating challenges, physical challenges, and other challenges, and well.... challenge after challenge to the point where I'm starting to feel that maybe I'm doing something wrong or my surgery was ineffective because I don't have any challenges.  

First day I ate my egg, it went off without a hitch, so I'm like waaaaiiiit for it...... they say you can only eat half an egg, but I'm down to my last pinch, and no problem.  So, I move on to cottage cheese, which I was sure would be up-chucked because most of the posts by those who are 4 and even 6 months out can't get down an ounce of food, so here I go.... one spoon, two spoons, three spoons, Ok.... nothing, surely the 4th spoon is going to do me in and..... nothing!  Then next day, I'm on to my yogurt, and the same experience as the egg and the cottage cheese.   Since the majority of the people are having challenges, I am half expecting that I should have these challenges too and if not, then something is terribly wrong.  

I'm not being condescending or facetious by any means, and if I am, please no one take this the wrong way, or be upset, but I'm starting to become a tad disheartened because it appears that there are so many issues.  And again, I am not discrediting or discounting the issues, but I often wonder if some of it is psychological and has to do with our attitude or resentment that we can no longer eat all those wonderful foods we enjoy.  

I am so in need of a HAPPY STORY right now to let me know that I am sane for feeling so great two weeks out of my surgery.  With the exception of itchy incisions, recovery and the beginning of the journey has been BEAUTIFUL.  Someone puleeese share a HAPPY STORY to counter all the sadness on the boards.   

TexasTerritory
on 10/5/13 4:09 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I haven't had any problems with my food intake. I do measure everything. I am able to eat about three to four ounces without any problems. I am two months out. My recovery has been awesome. Good luck to you!

katym
on 10/5/13 4:21 pm - PA

Dear Jus1nita,

Sounds like you are doing great, and sounds like you are normal. Pain and throwing up are not requirements. I have not thrown up since surgery and am grateful. 

Remember by their very nature forums attract people who have problems to solve or big victories to celebrate. There is less incentive to post when things are going along well but not spectacularly. Many folks have had to travel and self-pay to get surgery so they need to work out their own aftercare online by comparing symptoms. This does not mean everyone is having major problems.

Rejoice that you are recovering, be glad you like eggs and cottage cheese because they will probably become  mainstays of your diet, look forward to the weight loss (and clothes shopping) that is coming soon.

all the best, Katy angry

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

Jus1nita
on 10/5/13 4:51 pm - TX
VSG on 09/23/13

Thank you for your response.  I really feel bad that I feel this way, because I know this journey is a tough one.  Thank you for allowing me to be transparent and honest with my views, but to be honest I really started questioning my recovery and whether or not my surgery was a success because everything was so great.

I even called my surgeon on Thursday to ask him if he really created a sleeve, and was two steps away from wanting to speak to anyone who witnessed my surgery.  I am really head tripping because my symptoms do not match the majority of the posts I've been reading.  I mean I get painful gas, so I'm half confident they actually perform a gasrectromy.  LOL  

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/5/13 5:10 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Happy story here too. I never had an issue with anything including gas. Never vomited and never had the foamies. Just eat less and am satisfied. Never hungry.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ABath
on 10/8/13 7:37 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13

Help! What are the foamies? I keep seeing this mentioned but no one ever says what it is.

Height: 5'1" HW: 229 SW: 203 CW: 147.7

Bufflehead
on 10/5/13 8:01 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I think it's the nature of forums like this. Because not many people decide to make a post just to say something like "this surgery has never made me throw up, even once!" or "I'm not constipated! hooray!" -- usually people are posting to get feedback on problems, so if you hang out on the forums too much, you get the impression that this surgery will leave you a walking (or bedridden) mess of constipation, nausea, gas, vomiting, foamies, strictures, leaks, and worse.

I don't mean to downplay the complications that anyone has had, or to sound like I am discouraging people from posting about them. People obviously do have issues and I'm very glad there are places like this to get information and support. Just saying that you probably aren't going to get a true picture of surgical outcomes based on an online forum, no matter what the surgery is.

Personally, I have had zero nausea, vomiting, or gas. I did get the foamies twice -- once when I used the wrong spoon to measure my yogurt and accidentally ate too much early on, and another time when I tried a mineral supplement that included zinc gluconate, which I have never been able to tolerate my whole life. I've hit my fluid and protein goals every day since coming home from the hospital without any problems, have no real issues with any food I have tried. I've had no challenges with staying on my surgeon's plan and my restriction is great. I give all the credit to my wonderful surgeon, who I would follow to the ends of the earth, and just being exceptionally lucky.

So, you are not a weirdo and you are not alone . . . I think there are lots of us out here who are doing just fine. I would say that right now your stomach is still healing and you are eating soft foods/purees, it's probably a good idea to measure out a small amount of food and eat that, rather than eating until you are full. You are still learning what full feels like and waiting for your nerves to completely heal, and it's better to under-eat your sleeve than accidentally over-eat.

diana44
on 10/5/13 8:24 pm - GA
VSG on 09/04/13

I am so glad you have not had any complications and are doing wonderfully.   When I originally came home after the surgery -- I was like you and was not having any issues & had tons of energy.  After a week, I ended up in the hospital in ICU.  I had an internal abscess on my stomach's incision line and spent 7 days in the hospital and 10 add'l days on IV antibiotics.  Naturally this kind of trauma to your body can cause other issues as I couldn't eat or drink for 7 days -- doctor's orders.  So, my recovery after my 2nd discharge has been challenging -- but I'm not giving up!

Our complications are not psychological -- they are real and it helps so much to have a place to gain support and normalize our symptoms.  What I consider awesome is despite the complications, I do not regret my decision and consider myself a success!  I've lost about 35 lbs and my arthritis pain in practically gone.  I have a new life of being pain free and I cannot express my gratitude that this surgery is available to improve quality of life.

Each story helps another person.  I'm glad your story has created ease in your life.  It gives hope to us that have experienced complications.

cappy11448
on 10/5/13 9:23 pm

Count your blessings!  It was so frustrating to be able to eat so little for so long.  Many people are able to eat more sooner, like you. 

best of luck in your weight loss journey!

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Tracy D.
on 10/5/13 9:24 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had a pretty easy time right after surgery too.  I had surgery on Friday, came home on Sunday and went out to breakfast with hubby the next day and ate probably half an egg.  The next day (Tuesday) I was driving around town doing errands.   I would say that at two weeks out I was eating at least 1 oz. of food and may have got close to 2 oz. of soft stuff.  And my doctor let me start hard proteins pretty fast (which was a mistake because of acid reflux so I had to back off that for a bit).  

My ONLY issue in the beginning was horrible reflux compounded by an allergic reaction to the first two meds they gave me for it.  But once that got resolved and I got on the right med I've been fine.  At 4 months out, I can eat almost anything but avoid bread, pasta or anything greasy because they don't fit into my food plan and make me feel queasy.   And I'm comfortably eating about 3 oz. of hard protein at a meal.  

Sounds like you have a sleeve that was created and shaped the right way.  Once you start eating hard protein you'll feel a lot more restriction and probably experience some difficulties with different things.  But for now it sounds like you have a beautifully shaped sleeve that is working exactly right! :-) 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views