Hoping to get approved for VGS. First post!

beautyfromash
on 10/27/13 9:02 am

Hi everyone.  I have just started looking into Bariatric surgery and am leaning towards having the VGS done.  I have United Healthcare.  I have had a BMI over 40 for more than 15 years.  Does anyone know if UHC  considers the VGS as investigational and if they will cover it?  Also I'm wondering if anyone who has had it has had trouble losing weight?

So excited.  I'm obsessed. :)

pharmagirl_45
on 10/27/13 1:19 pm - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with
I believe there is a few people on here that as that insurance and it's covered. They talk about having to do a six month supervised diet before getting approval. Good luck!

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

pineview01
on 10/27/13 1:23 pm - Davison, MI

As far as insurance you may want to check out the insurance board.

As far as the surgery, I am a band to sleeve revision and love the VSG and much as I came to hate the band.  I am 9 months out and lost my regain from the band and another 40/50 pounds.  I have lowered my goal three times and am know 10 pounds from "normal"  I am so happy with this surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Debra M.
on 10/27/13 2:48 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
I have UHC and they did pay for my surgery, however, it will depend on if your employer has bariatric coverage in their plan or not. You need to read your coverage document or perhaps check with your HR department to see if it is covered.

kjo74
on 10/28/13 2:49 am - Lincoln, NE

I have UHC though my husband's employer.....as with any insurance, there are many variables of coverage according to the plans-you should give em a call.   I do have to have a six month doctor supervised diet.  I am currently in month 2......

Kendra

Approved!   Meet with surgeon 4/1 to get my surgery date! 

beautyfromash
on 11/1/13 10:34 pm
Thanks everyone. I found out my insurance does cover the sleeve. I have to pay out of pocket for the total assessment and then if approved they will reimburse me what I paid. They cover 90% of the surgery. I have no idea how much a total assessment will cost. Hopefully we will be able to afford it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 308 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 355 views