Feeling ashamed of losing weight.

rengirl1978
on 2/25/14 2:19 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I read the posts from people who are not losing as fast as they think they should, and how it makes them upset when they see others losing more weight... Well that in turn makes me feel ashamed! Like I shouldn't post my pics or stats or whatnot. I also have a couple people in my life that I feel ashamed to talk about my success with. I know that nobody can "make" me feel any certain way... That I am the only one who controls my emotions, but it's hard when you get the cold shoulder for sharing your weight loss stats. So now, the couple people who I was very excited to have for support, have become a source of shame and humiliation for me! I am a highly codependent, people pleaser. I know I need to stop worrying about what other people think, or worrying that I will hurt their feelings, but I just want to be happy and to be able to share my success, ya know? I sometimes feel like hiding my tickers, but I do like seeing them myself. Is anyone else struggling with this? We see a lot of the "slower" losers posting like this, but none of the "fast" losers, so I thought if chime in, cuz I can't be the only one :-(

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

pharmagirl_45
on 2/25/14 2:35 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

We all are working very hard to get to goal.  Please don't feel ashamed that you are losing weight.  I don't!  I work at it every day and some days the scale doesn't move but I just stay the course.  When I hit my first milestone, I will celebrate with pics and NOT feel ashamed! lol

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Tracy D.
on 2/25/14 2:40 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Please work on getting over this, Rhiannon.  A lot of "slow" losers on here are either confused about what is normal weight loss (makes me crazy!) OR they are losing slow for very good reasons - not enough water, too many carbs, bad food choices, not enough protein, etc.  

There ARE the rare few who just have super-slow metabolisms but they are the minority.  Stop hiding your light and SHINE, SHINE, SHINE, girl  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

smandagee
on 2/26/14 12:07 pm

PREACH! I wanna see the positive stories. I wanna see the before and after pics. If anything it's a reminder of the result I am yearning for and it gives me motivation seeing it become attainable with others like me. Don't give up! !!

G5x5
on 2/25/14 2:44 am - VA

You have nothing to be ashamed about, and you should share and celebrate any achievements.  You've earned them both.

As an observation, those comments seem like the obesity talking to me.  Some of them seem to strike common chords around how personalities can be affected by long term obesity.  I'm not sure how to fully explain this in 1,000 words or less, but one of the common themes that seems to occur is that obese people often: (a) set themselves up to avoid any attention (and are uncomfortable with any), or (b) become the "life of the party" in some form or fashion (or "people pleaser" perhaps).  It's two ways of dealing with attention that draws the fire off the obesity issue and how they really feel about themselves.

Don't be surprised if you find more confidence in everything you do, and develop the ability to assert yourself more, as you get closer to your goal.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Spencerella
on 2/25/14 2:54 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

This is one of the few places where you can actually brag about your success and absolutely everyone will cheer you on :)

congratulations !!!!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

claudiaes
on 2/25/14 2:58 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

don't feel bad, you are working hard and you deserve it!!! 

tdallison
on 2/25/14 3:07 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Oh, my.  Please dont feel ashamed.  You should be proud of how much weight you have lost.  I know I am very proud of mine and I love having my ticker showing.  I think that the people who are upset because they are not losing as fast as they want would hate to think that expressing their disappointment would make anyone else upset and not want to share their sucess.  We are each responsible for our journey.  The thing I love about this website is that we can share the good, the bad and the ugly ;-)  I say hold your head up high and be proud of what you have accomplished and when you read a post from someone who is struggling offer them your support and encouragment because deep down that is what we all want and need.

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/25/14 3:43 am
VSG on 10/30/13

You are such a source of inspiration and always have a kind word of encouragement for others.

Now it's our turn to encourage you :  YOU ARE AWESOME>>DEAL WITH IT WORLD 

No shame. You're kicking a** and taking names and have worked hard for every pound you have lost. Get after it!

71dart
on 2/25/14 4:07 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with

I understand.  While I WAS embarrassed to post or relate my stats because it reinforced just how fat I was, I now am proud to share that info.  The main reason is: you never know who you are going to be an inspiration too.  I was inspired by a person I know and saw often, but I did not see him during his first 18 months post-op.  I was inspired because of all of the common acquaintances who updated me on his stats.  I finally got his number from one of these common acquaintances and called him.  If he had not been "bragging" I would not have heard of his success, would not have contacted him, and would not have had the surgery.

Do Not be ashamed.  You have NOTHING to be ashamed of.  You took control of your life, took a risk, made changes and are living a new life.  Be PROUD of yourself!

Tom

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 353 views