Temptetions... (According to other people.)

DiaMon
on 5/6/14 8:48 am, edited 5/6/14 8:51 am
VSG on 03/12/14

Has it happened to anyone on here that..... Other people (the ones that know you had surgery) think they can tempt you or know that you have a temptation?.... This week is Teacher Appreciation week and there's stuff always going on in the teacher's lounge. So I walked in today, quickly trying to put my food for the day away and then sat to finish my protein shake quickly before I had to go, and it took me a while to realize that people were going in because there was tons of donuts and coffee. I might say that's a NSV, I had no care in the world for them. lol... Anywho my best friend at work later walks in when I go in there for a water re-fill and gets one, bites it and proceeds to show it to me very closely and says "I know you want some. You know you want a donut!"..... Now, him being only one of 4 people out of my family to know about my "change" surprised me to see that I have explained many times what I can't eat, not only because I shouldn't, but because I physically CAN NOT eat it, the thought of any type of bread going down my throat is enough to give me nausea. I explained it to him YET AGAIN... This has also happened when he saw I was drinking my new Premium Protein shake and said "Oh wow that's a lot of calories"... HELLO, I only eat about 600-700 a day, 160 calories and 30 grams of protein equals a great breakfest right? 

Sigh, I guess people can't get some things through their head. (And I love him to death, but it drives me batty to see him trying to tempt me or challenge me in these things, when I don't have a care in the world for food, I now eat to live, and I have to remind myself to do so, or I wouldn't eat at all.)

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

trinoc
on 5/6/14 9:34 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Oh boy...I do understand. 

Because this seems like a good friend and you don't doubt his best wishes for you, and because it seems like with a good friend you should be able to completely honest, I'd do just that.  I'd tell him that you know he doesn't mean to but doing these things is cruel and antagonistic.  That eating is not a joking matter for you and while you honestly don't want these things it's also counterproductive to have them waved in your face.  Explain that your surgeon, nut, and yourself have worked out a good eating plan and if he wants to know why a protein shake is a good choice for a breakfast for you then you'd be happy to explain it to him but that you dont' want to be defensive and feel you have to justify every choice you make.  You made a DRASTIC life change and as a good friend he should applaud and support your followup - forever - and I'm sure he'll want to when you put it to him like this. 

Of course, you'll encounter others who are jealous and just being asshats that want to sabotage.  Shut them down.  You don't have to be as nice as you are to a bestie.  :-)

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

megan.sherman
on 5/6/14 11:19 am
VSG on 05/17/14

He sounds like my brother who loves to tease me.  We always used to eat ice cream with peanut butter on it growing up.  About 4 days after my surgery he sent me an email with the subject Too Soon?  And the email was a picture of a bowl of ice cream with peanut butter on it with a "Love ya Megs!!" 

Boys (even if they pretend to be grown men) can be buttheads.

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/14 12:13 pm - AZ

Yes,  a friend of mine keeps inviting me to our "old" spot... a chinese buffet! And when I tell her no thank you, she still trys to convince me to go.. with the "oooo remember your favorite chicken there? dont you miss it? come on, it wont hurt you to go" I still of course decline the invite.. and she tends to get mad at me for it.. not sure what people are thinking!

Gwen M.
on 5/6/14 12:58 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Um... no?  Because if someone did that to me I would be extremely blunt in telling them that they were being an asshole. If it happened a second time, I'd make it clear that they had no place in my life.  That sort of crap is not funny, cute, or amusing.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

DiaMon
on 5/6/14 1:12 pm
VSG on 03/12/14

I guess it's hard to understand that we have truly changed. He's a sweetheart, but he wasn't familiar with this type of surgery, I've had to explain different aspects to him. 

If it had been any other person I would not have had any considerations with "funny comments". 

Thank you for the support. (=

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

Tracy D.
on 5/7/14 12:09 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Sorry - but that's "asshole" behavior from your friend.  And I would tell him that very bluntly and set some boundaries with him right now.  

"When you do things like it makes me feel like you don't want me to be successful and that's very hurtful.  I need you to stop shoving food in my face and I need you to stop making comments about what I am or am not eating.  Got it?"   A true friend will respect this boundary-setting.  A true asshole will keep on doing it and then you'll have to make a decision about whether to continue the friend****  

Sometimes the people closest to us have the hardest time when we decide to change our life! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views