Scared of "head hunger"...

Jana S.
on 6/6/14 11:25 pm

I am very concerned of "head hunger" after surgery.  It's no secret that I like to eat the wrong kind of foods and too much of them.  I am scared that I am going to have the surgery and still want to eat all that crap!  Anyone out there who has already had the surgery have any advise on how they got through it...was is a struggle???  I have had some people say that you don't want it anymore but honestly, I cannot imagine not craving the foods that have ultimately got me in this situation.  Advise please....  :)

Jana

I've been sleeved!!

Surgery date....Sept 10th, 2014

cappy11448
on 6/7/14 12:22 am

Hi Janabean,

I am one year out and I still struggle with head hunger on occasion.  But it isn't constant - so that's a good thing. 

I found that if I cut my carbs way down to about 25g per day, it really helped limit the cravings.  If you have a lot of cravings, I'd recommend trying to reduce the carbs for 3 or 4 days and see if that helps.  Some people don't have a problem with carbs, and others like me are very sensitive to them.

Beyond that, I make some really low carb food like cucumber salad made with plain greek yogurt, or roasted low carb veggies, etc.  and if I really need a snack, that's what I eat.  My program was very concerned with "grazing" so it stresses three meals a day with few snacks, so I don't usually allow a snack, though many people do.

For me, the urge to eat was really diminished after surgery, so you may find it easier than you are expecting.  I hope this is the case for you.  Its good that you are planning strategies now to deal with this later.  It speaks well of your commitment to the process.

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Jana S.
on 6/7/14 3:42 am

Thank you so much Carol.  Somehow, you have made me feel better already! 
:)  Thanks for the great advise!!

Jana

I've been sleeved!!

Mary Gee
on 6/7/14 12:25 am, edited 6/7/14 12:26 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

"Head Hunger" is a big issue for me.  I had surgery 5/14, and have just started on purees.  

My big "eating time" was always in the evening.  A few evenings this week, as I was watching tv, food kept entering my mind.  In the past, I just would have automatically gotten up and grabbed something to eat without even thiking about.  Now I catch myself, think for a minute and accept the fact I'm not hungry at all.  And also realize that if I did eat, my stomach would protest.  And believe me, you don't want a protesting stomach - not comfortable at all.

And then this morning, I made breakfast for my granddaughter and me.  She loves breakfast at Grammy's house.  She had a pancake, toast, scrambled egg with cheese and a sausage patty.  I made some egg/cheese for myself.  Needless to say, she didn't finish her whole breakfast.  In the past, I would have eaten mine and her leftovers.  I talked to myself and then tossed her leftovers into the garbage quick!

Believe me, I still want the same foods as I ate before surgery - but I tell myself I didn't go through this whole long process just to fail because of my own stupidity.  My SO is still trying to get me to have "just a taste" of what he's eating (Chinese food, hot dogs, ice cream, chips, etc.) but I won't indulge - I'm not going down that road again. 

It's not easy dealing with head hunger.  We have to learn to pay attention to our bodies. And remember why we went through with the surgery.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Gwen M.
on 6/7/14 1:48 am, edited 6/7/14 1:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I do experience head hunger still, but it's totally different.  It's not the "OMG I MUST EAT NOW OR I WILL START EATING SMALL CHILDREN" sort of hunger, instead it's like, "Huh.  I'm hungry.  Shrug."   It's a hunger that isn't demanding and can be ignored.  I definitely still crave things, but I don't really care if I don't act upon the craving.  The cravings are easily dismissible.  

And if it's a craving that isn't?  I indulge it.  With the amount I can eat, it's not like 2 ounces of something "bad" every once in a blue moon is going to derail my success.  And, if I get to the point where that does become an issue, I'll re-evaluate.  But my theory with this whole process is that I'm okay with not getting to goal as fast as humanly possible because I'd rather focus on creating a foodstyle for myself that is both healthy and maintainable.  

(For what it's worth, I don't seem to have issues with carb sensitivity, I can eat "just one bite" and be fine for a week or more.  I also do quality over quantity and find that one bite of something really amazing is so much more rewarding than many bites of something that is not so amazing.  For example - a single bite of a cookie from our local pastry chef is infinitely more rewarding and satisfying than 10 oreo cookies would be.)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

OceanGirl18
on 6/7/14 2:22 am

I'm almost 6 weeks out and have to say I've yet to experience head hunger. I have two little boys, nanny for two more and have a husband who eats whatever he wants with no weight gain, lucky him, I prepare 3-4 meals a day plus snacks which pre surgery I'd always over indulge in, go out to eat a lot and it really has not been an issue. I'm surprised by this but 1oz of protein and I'm full, really full. Not sure what will come as my body heals more but after experiencing significant weight loss I never want to go back. Best of luck! 

Kelly Jean
on 6/7/14 2:59 am
VSG on 04/08/14

For me its exactly like Gwen said!! I dont have to have everything in sight its kinda like huhhhh I want something.... and then ok move on I dont have to have it.... its not like ...omg I smell french fries Ive got to have some !!! Im 8 weeks out and I have had some slight urges here or there ( very few) but not a big deal.... if and when you have an urge change it to something healty or go for a walk or do something it only lasts a very very short time!!!

Kelly

Jana S.
on 6/7/14 3:50 am

Thank you all so much!  You all have definitely reassured me that I will be able to push through it.  I am still at least a month or two  from surgery....maybe I should start now and try to find substitutes from snacking in the evenings.  I need to change my habits and realize that they are BAD for me!!  Thanks again for all the comments.

Jana

I've been sleeved!!

Amber G.
on 6/7/14 4:43 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey Jana! Head hunger was a challenge for me in the beginning and still is at times. The awesome thing (atleast for me), is that right after surgery I was way too scared to even attempt to eat anything, as I was afraid I would hurt my new stomach. Once you are able to move to mushies, you will have not had those bad foods for a few weeks, so the craving does calm down. I am now 8 weeks out, and seeing other people eat alot/etc does not nearly bother me as much as it did the 1st couple weeks. I fell victim to one of my craving last week, french fries (ate 3 or 4), and honestly they did not taste as good as they did before surgery. Also, once the hunger hormone is completely out of your system, then the hunger thing gets better too. Honestly everything gets easier with each day that passes after surgery ;) 

Jana S.
on 6/7/14 10:17 am

That completely makes sense!! I am feeling much better now...thanks!

Jana

I've been sleeved!!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 206 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op