3 years out and 50 lb. weight gain!!!

Sunshine Will Be
Skinny !

on 6/19/14 5:49 pm
VSG on 02/14/11 with
Help me get back on track! I've maintained for all this time and now I'm gaining! I'm at the gym EVERYDAY! The weight IS NOT COMING BACK OFF! Freaking out a bit! What do I need to do to get the 50 lbs. back off?

Follow my Journey on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SunshineWillBeSkinny
and my Blog:
http://www.sunshinewillbeskinny.blogspot.com
 I am 5'5"

Vivian Prouty
on 6/19/14 10:11 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Hi Sunshine......weight regain does happen.   Your at the gym everyday but exercise alone will not pull off a regain.    Go to fit day.com and log in your food intake.    Make sure to cut all carbs, breads and starchy foods out of your diet.    Eat very small portions.    I don't know why we all seem to think that re-gains come off as fast as our original weight loss....just does't happen. I've been trying ( but not as hard as i can ) to get a regain off for 4 yrs.    I seem to loose it then regain it due to stress in my life.    If you are measuring your foods and eating small portions...then you may need to go to your doctor and be checked out. Have you tried the 5 day pouch test?   If not...go to 5daypouchtest.com and give it a try.    Good luck to you and if your doing everything right....then it will eventually come off but it might take a while.    Good luck to you and hope my advice helps.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Tracy D.
on 6/19/14 11:30 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Experts like to spout off that weight loss is 75% what you put in your mouth and 25% what you do at the gym.  Frankly, I think it's hogwash.  I believe with my heart and soul that the battle of the bulge is won at the kitchen table every single day.  I would say it's more of a 90-10 split.  

Do you use a food tracking program and track every bite that goes into your mouth?  Have you abolished white flour, pasta, rice, sugar and alcohol from you food plan?  Are you keeping your carbs below 40 grams per day?  Are you getting at least 80-90 grams of protein a day?  Are you drinking 100 oz. of water a day?  Are you getting at least 7 hours of sleep per night?  Are you keeping total calories to 1000 or less?  

I understand I'm not as far out as you post-op, but even in the short amount of time I've been in maintenance I've experienced scale creep up and I have to be very disciplined in doing all of the things listed above to get it to come back down.  

If you go to the gym every day that is certainly a bonus but it is not going to get that scale to move down 50 lbs.  Stop thinking of exercise as something that helps you "lose weight"...it really doesn't.  Exercise because it makes you healthier and more fit, because it gives you extra stamina and energy and helps you sleep better at night.  I think everyone would be better off if they stopped trying to tie exercise in with weight loss.  They really are two very different things and sometimes the exercise will actually cause weight GAIN...and then people quit exercising because they don't think it works.  Short sighted IMHO.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/14 12:55 am

I am five years out and maintaining my weight.  Everything that Tracy told you is spot on.  SPOT ON!!!

If you do what she told you to do, you will lose weight again. 

Now there are some small techniques that can help you, but they are trivial when compared to the really important truths that Tracy has shared with you in her response. 

happyteacher
on 6/20/14 1:07 am

Back to basics:

1. No drinking for at least 30 minutes after eating.

2. Go high protein.  For me this means 110 grams plus, but for smaller women it would be less. Lean protein too, or protein shakes. 

3. Green leafy veggies, and fruit that is low on the glycemic index.  Lots of veggies are Ok, fruit in moderation.

4. My best days are always the ones where I start with a protein shake.  My very very best days are when I have 2 shakes in a day.  Premier RTD for a meal replacement (30 grams protein) and EAS Lowcarb advantage for a snack (100 cals, 17g protein).

5.  You will have to decide if incorporating planned snacks will help or hinder.  I am hypoglycemic, so it is important.  Others do better just by eat 3 meals a day.

6. Have a list on the fridge of things you like to do instead of eat, then use that list.

7. Exercise. (Sounds like you got that down)

8. Consider carbs.  Many do well at 40 grams a day, I do best cycling 30 grams at a meal and 15 at a snack.  Too much carb even with lower calories for the day will trigger a nasty insulin flood/cravings/hunger cycle that will increase your overall calories. Avoid that. 

9. Log and weigh everything.  Plan you meals and snacks.  Rid your house of all junk food.  Stay away from drive-throughs. Prepare your own meals. Shop only lean meats and produce, nothing processed.  Avoid white carbs (white flour, rice, sugar, etc.)

Good luck!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

boomer
on 8/1/14 10:33 am - Baton Rouge, LA

I am in the exact same boat!!!!  I know exactly why i have regained- i am not sticking to the food plan at all.  I did great until I got married.  I looked beautiful in my photos.  After all that hard work, I decided to buy some hershey kisses as a reward.  1 1/2 years of uncontrolled eating later and I am up 50lbs, after losing 140.  I am constantly berating myself for failing.  I am back to my obsession with food and the daily struggle to avoid bad choices.  Add to that the fact that I have and incredibly stressful job of being a young woman in an all male environment full of egos and anger, and its has been as setup for disaster.  I know what I am supposed to do, but I just have no willpower!  I feel like the only joy in my life is food and booze.  I know what I need to do and I know how much happier I was when I was in control, but at this point I recognize I am self medicating.  I think I am going to see a therapist to figure out how to deal with stress without using self destructive behavior.  Has anyone found that therapy is helpful in this regard?  Also, food taste good and so do ****tails, so its hard to be good.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 67 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 320 views