blood/platelet donations

lessofme123
on 9/28/14 8:44 pm

The Red Cross has been calling me to donate platelets ever since I did a year ago. I have been turning them down since I haven't felt up to it. My vsg surgery was June 4 and I still struggle to get in enough fluids every day. I finally decided to give it a try yesterday. My surgeons office thought it would be ok. They couldn't find any veins, and sent me home without even trying to poke me. I thought it was really strange. It was like she gave up before even starting. She asked if my veins were good and I told her not really. She put a cuff on me and looked to see if anything popped up, which it didn't.  I am probably in a state of mild dehydration.  Has anyone successfully given blood?

Grim_Traveller
on 9/28/14 10:51 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I donate platelets every couple of weeks. I started years before surgery, and have continued since. There are a few things to keep in mind.

You must be well hydrated. Really, really well hydrated. They will never get a good vein if they don't.

You have to keep an eye on all your iron labs, especially ferritin. Some have a hard time maintaining levels, even with supplements, and end up needing iron infusions. If you can't maintain good iron reserves, don't donate. This is especially true for whole blood and red cell donations, but even with platelets the red cell losses add up.

As you lose lots of weight, veins start sticking out all over the place. It makes it look like it will be easier to draw blood, but often isn't. These prominent veins roll around easily, and can shrivel quick. Donating a double or triple platelet takes me at least two hours, and most veins don't hold up that long after surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tracy D.
on 9/29/14 12:53 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I donated for the first time at 1 year post-op.  No problems.  But I have pipelines for veins and have never had a problem getting in all my fluids.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views