Water and farts? help needed

roseygirl
on 10/3/14 1:47 pm

I made it! Sleeved yesterday evening. They want me drinking 4 bottles of water and I've only been able to 2 down. I'm scared and not sure how much i can swallow at once. Any tricks or suggestions? I have read all of you posting about getting water in and how difficult it is but did not believe I would have any issue myself and Here I am.

secondly the nurses keep asking me about farting which I have 0 rumble down there. is this normal to not have to poop or fart for a few days?

Eilish S.
on 10/3/14 2:35 pm
VSG on 09/19/14

Congrats on your sleeve!! I'm two weeks out and feeling pretty good :) 

As far as the water, it really does help to sip, sip, sip! The outline for me was if I could get down at least 1 ounce every 15 minutes (during waking hours of course) then I would hit my goal. That made it VERY easy to get it all in in the first week. 

My doctors and nurses all asked me about farting constantly while in the hospital also and I was walking like a madwoman trying to get all the gas to pass. I wasn't feeling any movement at all. However, I finally passed gas at about 3 am on the second night. I woke my poor husband up in the middle of the night elated that I farted. He was less than thrilled at the time ;) The nurses were much more excited for me. 

Cheers and you're doing great!

Luvmygs
on 10/3/14 3:25 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

Ask the nurse for a small cup, kinda looks like a small shot glass. But, its plastic. My doctor said approx 2-3 tablespoons every 15 minutes. Small sips. Congratulations!

mickeymantle
on 10/3/14 3:39 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

ICE POPS and jello counts

you will not have a BM for a week or so , there is nothing inside to come out

the pain killers slow your intestine  down and passing gas lets the doctors know there still working 

they also keep track of how much pee you produce and will not let you go home till you are producing enough

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

frisco
on 10/3/14 5:00 pm

Best not to trust a fart till you normalize......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

roseygirl
on 10/3/14 11:27 pm

Thanks all! I got a stack of those 1 oz cups today and that is making me trust not to swallow too much. Wowie zowie i feel worse today than the last two days. God bless percocets! I woke up feeling beat up this morning. I can even feel the gas in my arms plus tummy and shoulder. I hained 12 lbs from surgery but was told that's not bad as they've seen folks gain 35!

califsleevin
on 10/4/14 1:04 am - CA

If you feel like sipping more than an ounce every fifteen minutes, there's nothing wrong and it's not a problem (it's desirable in fact - an ounce in fifteen minutes is only a half cup per hour which makes it real hard to get in enough water during the day.) My doc's instruction was to do the ounce in five minutes. Some may have enough inflammation early on that fifteen minutes is as much as they can do, but you didn't break or stretch anything if you can sip faster.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

roseygirl
on 10/4/14 1:10 am

Thanks calif! Who would have thought dining water could cause so much anxiety. At the hospital they want 4 bottles of water in addition to my soup and tea... aye aye aye. Busting out of here today. Thanks for all the great advice!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views