Avoiding loose extra skin!

Hagar
on 10/14/14 7:45 am - Egypt

Was anyone able to avoid loose extra skin after surgery?? Mine is planned after 11 days from now, and I'm very worried about this! i really don't want to go for another surgery to get rid of extra skin!, does weight lifting help avoiding it??

lastdietever
on 10/14/14 7:47 am
VSG on 10/27/14 with

omg!!! i just posted the exact same thing! Surgery on the 27th! Good luck

Hagar
on 10/14/14 8:05 am - Egypt

omg!! hahaha i just saw urs now and i was like "is it me!!" hahaa 

my surgery was scheduled on 27th too, but two days ago the doctor called me and said it will be sooner either 25th or 26th! we r so close anyway :D good luck for both of us 

Gwen M.
on 10/14/14 7:53 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you're going to have loose skin, you're going to have loose skin.  Nothing you can do to prevent or avoid it. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nikke2003
on 10/14/14 8:26 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

While you can tone the muscle under your loose skin to perhaps improve the appearance a little, loose skin is inevitable for A LOT of people. The amount varies... maybe you could get lucky. For what I understand, your skin stretches and eventually grows more skin to repair the damage obesity causes. You can't ungrow skin, so there's only so much you can do!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

mevoila86
on 10/14/14 8:33 am

In one of my doc's support group meetings, he brought in a plastic surgeon who is experienced in removing skin post bariatric surgery. His recommendation was that skin is an organ and the way to work it out is to make it do what its meant to do... protect and renew. He did not say that it's a perfect solution, but he said that "bruising" the skin and forcing it to heal itself is one way to reduce the amount of excess skin you have. He pointed out some methods like exfoliation, acid peels and skin brushing. I found the information very helpful and I am incorporating regular exfoliation into my beauty regimen. I've also seen some information on light therapy from youtube that claims it may produce some (not profound) results. 

At this point, I'm expecting a bunch of skin, but I don't think I want to go the surgery route so its worth it to try. At least my skin is smooth and radiant right now! I might change my mind in a year!

Good luck to you!

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy: October 9, 2014 with Dr. Val Prokurat at Centra State Medical Center in Freehold, NJ.

Dimplezzz2002
on 10/14/14 8:42 am

Well I've read loose skin is pretty much inevitable but it depends on how much weight you have to lose. I've also read you can help tighten loose skin through weight lifting, keeping hydrated, and eating protein. I've read it can take up to two years to see a noticeable tightening. It seems surgery is the quickest and surest route to tighten loose skin though.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/14/14 9:30 am

I have it. I like to joke that I'll tattoo a flag on the inside of my left batwing and unfurl it at sporting events.  It's better than the extra fat that used to fill it out, so I'm okay with it. Of course, no one sees mine expect darling husband. At some point I might get the girls tacked up.

You can start a plastics fund now, so when the time comes you are ready.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Carolyn W.
on 10/14/14 10:14 am

It really all depends on your age and how much weight you have to lose. The younger you are, the less you should have a problem with loose skin. If you don't have as much weight to lose, you won't have as much extra skin. My doctor said staying hydrated and doing toning exercises can help, but it won't prevent it. 

sophisticate30
on 10/14/14 1:39 pm

Genetics prob play a huge part... But, drink your water, excersice AND start moisturizing your entire body- neck to toes- NOW. Everyday. I'm down 103lbs in one year no lose skin, almost 3 yrs post op. Research what type of oils are good for your skin. Also, stick to the eating plan (protein & fruits & veggies). Hope that helps and best wishes!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 150 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 423 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views