My VSG surgery is scheduled for next week - what were you not pepared for?

Ron R.
on 3/12/15 12:31 am

I'd be interested in hearing any tips, tricks or tales.

Thank-you.

JOaaronSH
on 3/12/15 1:08 am
VSG on 04/23/15

Would love to hear this as well, my surgery has just been scheduled for April 23rd, 2015....scary now that the date is officially scheduled!

Sully15
on 3/12/15 1:30 pm
VSG on 05/21/15

We have the same surgeon! I don't have a date yet - finishing up insurance approval but hoping for April 30 or May 7.

Tracy D.
on 3/12/15 1:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'd read so much that I was pretty well-prepared.  I wasn't prepared for how much air I inhaled whenever I drank (painful!).   I learned to slowly breath out while sipping - it helped a lot!  

The one must-have in the hospital:  lip balm!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/12/15 5:07 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

^^^ What Tracy said.  Bring super soft and mushy lip balm.  I could have left everything else at home, but this was the single most important thing to have after surgery.  Since I wasn't allowed to drink anything until my leak test the following day, my lips were dry and uncomfortable.  Lip balm saved me!

On the morning of discharge from the hospital, they brought me "breakfast" which consisted of clear liquids.  I tasted some crystal light and almost vomited.  I'm sure I drank too much.  After surgery, drink very small sips and drink them often.  Do not let yourself get dehydrated.  I drank out of small 2 ounce plastic cups at home to measure my intake.  My surgeon was more interested that I get in enough fluids than reach his protein recommendation for the first few weeks post surgery.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Dan1962
on 3/12/15 1:25 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I wasn't prepared for the gas pain.  I thought I was but I wasn't.  I brough GasX and the hospital won't let me use it.  Still not sure why so I had to let it disapate the old fashoined way.  Its a small bump in the road though, on the 23rd I'll be 6 monthd out and I'm less than 20# from goal (if my ticker ever updates).  I can barely remember the early stages :)

mickeymantle
on 3/12/15 3:12 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

hospitals will only let you use there drugs , even if it is drugs that you need daily and only if the doctor orders them

gas x does nothing for the gas pains it is gas that is pumped into your insistion   to give the surgeon more room to work

and walking is the only thing that helps get rid of it   hot towels help with the gas pain

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Pamela M.
on 3/12/15 1:40 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date!  I had surgery August 2014 . . . what was I not prepared for:  my sister came to stay with me the day of and several days after my surgery.  I was not prepared for how much it would bother me when she was cooking delicious meals in my kitchen (making the house smell amazing) and having to watch her and my husband eat some of my favorite foods/meals.  Of course, at that time, I was struggling to get in my liquids.  I also had not eaten any real food the week before surgery; therefore, it really upset me that they were cooking and eating delicious food in front of me.  It was insensitive on their part - so, a word of caution, make certain your family is sensitive to your special needs the first 3-4 weeks after surgery - no baking cookies in the house!  Also, once you start eating food, make certain you purchase a food scale and weigh and measure everything.  I did not do that and I regret it.  My restriction is working well but I think it would work even better if I had weighed my portions.  Nonetheless, I have lost 68 lbs. so not complaining too much.  LOVE MY SLEEVE, BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF!  Good luck and look forward to hearing from you once you are on the loser's bench.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

thallnc
on 3/12/15 2:24 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

I wasn't prepared for the very sore throat that I got right after surgery due to the tube they put down while you are asleep. If it wasn't for the ice chips and Biotene dry mouth spray I don't know what I would have done. Good luck with your surgery!!!

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

civilmomma
on 3/12/15 2:31 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I learned that I really hate having an IV, that cold liquids were intolerable for my sleeve (apparently not unheard of - butmy nursing staff was surprised - easy remedy...room temp or warmer was fine).

I had borderline high BP and it dropped to low-normal with the weight loss so fast that I deal with orthostatic hypotension now...liveable, but annoying at first...should fade over time.

The biggest thing...I expected to feel like crap for a long time after surgery...but I was back to parenting, working, and house projects within a week.  It was nice.  The exhaustion from low calories was quickly offset by the rapid weightloss so me hauling less of me around balanced out with the calorie intake quickly and I didn't feel too run down for very long.  That was refreshing!

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Most Active