Just arrived home! its my first day.

Jeanmanolo
on 3/18/15 1:13 pm - Miami, FL
VSG on 03/17/15

Helo! 

I just made it home....had a VSG yesterday morning. Woke up to massive pain but after walking, and walking I was able to cope with it. What was everyones experience on this day? I can't tolerate water very well. I can do jello  were well, but straigh****er seems to make me feel bloated. Any ideas for tomorrow? I am afraid I won't make my 64oz if water doesn't sit well tomorrow. Its crazy because before the surgery I loved water.

I really appreciate everyones input.

Jean Ml. Jimenez

pineview01
on 3/18/15 1:43 pm - Davison, MI

I couldn't do straigh****er either.  I mixed it with crystal light/mio.  I also found I couldn't drink it cold and would have to have it  room temp.  But, I could do SF pop cycles, SF jello and they counted for our 64oz.  We also got to count the fluid in protein shakes.  I learned from my lap band that the protein shakes were to thick.  I bought theirs as I had too.  But, I had bout the Syntrax Nectar this time which are much thinner, easier to get down and zero carbs.  Three of them got me my first 24 oz.  I also only sipped 4 oz at a time six times.  In between I sipped flavored water.  I bought decaf and herbal teas to sip on all day as I didn't want the sweet taste.

Just make sure you keep walking steady.  I had to do 10 minutes every hour and had a circuit going in the house.  I did use gas-x and it was help but the walking is number one to get that gas worked out.

Good luck with your WLS journey.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Sarah M.
on 3/18/15 1:59 pm - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

Hi Jean,

I remember struggling to stay awake and making myself drink a full protein shake.  A nap was my reward for getting the liquids in.  Seriously, I think I slept 18 hours.  I needed pain pills and broth was my best friend.  I got a NY-style chicken soup (Tabatchnik's in the frozen section) and strained out all the noodles & chicken.  Decaf green tea was another good stomach settler to me.  The warm broth was so comforting and lovely.  I've heard Unjury Chicken Broth is good - and it's high protein, too.  Plus, the chicken broth counts toward liquid. :)  

You'll get through!  I swear it only gets better.  By day 4 the liquids weren't as much of an effort and my energy started to return.  Keep walking walking and sipping sipping!  

Good luck!!!

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

mickeymantle
on 3/18/15 3:46 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

boy your home fast my surgeon keeps all patients at least 2 night in the hospital

can you say sf ice pops , they count as liquid , I lived on them in the hospital , there broth sucked and also the jello in the hospital, have not be able to eat it since it was so bad

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Chilipepper
on 3/18/15 3:54 pm

You aren't going to make 64 oz this early on. You are swollen on the inside. Each day you will get more in. Give yourself time to heal. You will love water again. That's all I drink. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Jeanmanolo
on 3/18/15 10:30 pm - Miami, FL
VSG on 03/17/15

Thank you all!

Feeling better today! Slow on water intake but trying all other options, tea, jello, broth... At this point it's trial and error, looking for that one thing that will make my stomach feel better. 

Super excited about some gas movement and at the same time amazed on how this is a victory! Haha 

Walkimg around my building every 2 hrs for 15 min, makes me feel alive!

Looking forward to sharing more success stories soon!

God Bless!

Jean Ml. Jimenez

Grim_Traveller
on 3/18/15 10:43 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Congrats! It will take a while to feel normal. Keep walking and drinking. Sugar free popcicles are great, but try water at different temps and flavors. It gets a little better every day.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Luvmygs
on 3/19/15 12:23 am, edited 3/19/15 12:24 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Congratulations! First few days are rough, you're still swollen from the surgery and restriction is very tight. Just take small sips of water every 2-3 minutes. Try warm water. Sugar Free popsicles were my best friend the first few days after surgery. Hang-in-there, you'll find that each day it does get better and better. It took me about 4-5 days to get 1 protein shake in and it took me almost a day to drink it. Early ou****er is most important. Take care.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 398 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views