New to Solids

mandidel
on 6/4/15 2:04 pm

Ok, I have been on full liquids for 4 weeks, and am just starting soft/integrating real foods. I am so programmed to the tiny amounts of caloric intake (2 premier protein drinks, 2 proti soups per day), that I am like a fawn learning to walk! I have been given a list with a wide variety of foods, a cap of 1,000 calories, and instructions to make sure to drink 2 protein drinks per day for the protein.

I am freaked out! I thought I would be over the moon, but its stressful! I have searched, and have found so many great recipes, but I am nervous to start eating again. What is the "sweet spot" for calories? It seems like 1,000 might be too many? Is it important to NOT go over 100 grams of protein? If I am at my limit for protein, what am I supposed to eat to get more calories without carbs?  Is it ok to still only be at about 500 calories right now? I can't seem to get more in unless I eat more often...which seems like a slippery slope....or is that something we should be doing?

For example:  Today's menu:

B:  Premier Protein (will add a breakfast once school gets out next week)

L:  Refried Black beans w/cheese

S:  Premier Protein

D:  Maybe a couple of crumbly turkey meatballs...might try some green beans 

Am I on the right track? Will all this come with time? What is the ideal calorie range for continued good loss?

Thanks Friends!

5'9"

Tracy D.
on 6/4/15 7:20 am, edited 6/4/15 7:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

There's no way you're going to get to 1000 calories per day this early out...and I wouldn't have even tried.  600-800 per day was my max and I'm not sure I was getting that at 4 weeks out. 500 sounds about right.

What IS really important is at least 80 grams of protein a day and 64-80 oz. of water a day.  

I understand the reasoning for the beans but they are really high in carb without a compensating amount of protein.  You'd be better off with cottage cheese, scrambled eggs w/cheese or some canned chicken breast (it tends to be real mushy and goes down easy).  

I stayed with 800 calories a day (sometimes 900****il I hit maintenance.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

cappy11448
on 6/4/15 3:18 pm

I would plan on working up to 1,000 calories in 6 months to one year post op.  At 4 weeks I could barely get my protein in, and didn't have room for anything else. When I did have a little extra room after my 3 to 4 ounces of dense protein, I'd add low car veggies like broccoli cauliflower, cabbage, green beans, salads, etc.  This was probably about 6 months out, and it was only a bite or two of veggie.

For calories I was at 500 to 600 cals per day for the first few months.  1000 is an upper limit, but I wouldn't make it a goal util you are near maintenance.

good luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Dan1962
on 6/4/15 3:21 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Tracy is correct, follow high protein and low calorie!

GooseGirl
on 6/4/15 8:20 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I went back and checked and I averaged 500 at 4 weeks. It wasn't until I was close to 4 or 5 months that I was consistently between 600 - 700 calories. Now that I'm just over 7 months my calories are around 800 each day. So, yes, the calorie increase does come over time. According to my surgeon my sleeve is small for whatever that's worth. My medical team has always stressed hitting my protein, fluids and vitamin goals each day and NOT calories. It seems to be working for me. 

Chicken Salad was something that I ate quite a bit of when I was first transitioning to solid foods. I also did deli meat and tolerated that well too. Also, according to my dietitian it's fine if you get over 100 gms of protein but if you are getting that much you need to increase your water intake as well to help your body (i think it's your kidneys) deal with the protein levels. 

Regarding how often you are eating... some plans allow or even call for snacks and others absolutely forbid it. My plan calls for snacks and my dietitian really wanted me to get them in. Early on it just wasn't possible for me to do snacks. As time has progressed I can add healthy snacks in to my meal plan but they are planned items. I hope some of that helps. 

beelitehobbies
on 6/4/15 11:12 pm, edited 6/4/15 11:13 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

Listen to your body was the best advice I got on food from the head nurse at the hospital. that will determine how much you can eat and what the result will do.

Drink,Drink,Drink and then drink more water

BTW

there really isn't a max calorie daily possible. If you eat healthy yes, if not there is no limit and this is the reason people sometimes fail. 2 doctors have told that they have seen their VSG patients failure to lose weight because of poor diets.

I.e Large McDonalds shake is 1100 calories

One Dr has had patient that was found to be drinking shakes and was oddly enough not losing weight?

My Surgeon had a patient that was pureeing Wendy's hamburgers. Oddly enough she too was gaining weight?

Sorry for the comments. When I read " not possible to eat that many calories" I could not resist.

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views