Weight gain before surgery along with depression

kranky813
on 8/6/15 6:30 am
VSG on 08/20/15

So weird question. I am scheduled for surgery in 14 days. But I am having a hard time losing weight pre-surgery. In fact I am gaining (gained 2 pounds). I have really been focused on my eating and being active however this morning my clothes felt a little tight and I weighed myself and saw the scale go up 2 lbs. What does this mean as far as surgery? Do you have to lose 10 pounds prior to surgery? I've also been really stressed out and depressed lately which I am contributing to the weight gain. In the past when ever I have been stressed out I gain weight. Please Help!! 

Surgery Date: 8/20/2015 - CW 233 - GW 140

Bufflehead
on 8/6/15 6:54 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Whether you have to lose weight before your surgery depends entirely on your surgeon and your insurance. It varies a lot, so none of us can give you the answer. You definitely want to talk to your surgeon's office, possibly including the insurance coordinator, to figure that out.

A two pound fluctuation isn't abnormal and it doesn't necessarily mean you have put on two pounds worth of fat. The human body can vary that much due to all sorts of non-fat reasons. Hormones, water retention, all sorts of issues. But if you want to get more serious about losing weight, I would suggest (if you haven't already), opening a MyFitnessPal.com account, setting your goals for weight loss, and religiously weighing or measuring your portions and tracking everything you eat. Most people find this incredibly helpful.

Exercise is great, and it is very beneficial to both your physical and mental health. For most people, it can help a lot with stress. So I definitely encourage you to keep doing that. But I wouldn't rely on it at all for weight loss. Weight loss is really going to turn on what you eat, not how much you exercise, IMO.

If you can, seek out a therapist to help with stress and depression and learning new coping techniques other than eating your feelings. You really need to get that worked out in order to be successful at this surgery. I think that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is the type of therapy that most people in our situation find helpful, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!

iloveravens
on 8/6/15 8:17 am
RNY on 08/13/14

It's up to your surgeon's office, every plan is different.  I didn't have a pre-op diet.  I think it would have been easier to adjust if I had.  I'd get your head in the game now if you really want this.  It's time to get straight and do this.  You can do it.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

kranky813
on 8/6/15 9:27 am
VSG on 08/20/15

Thank you guys! I have really been stressing out about this today. I will follow up with my surgeons office and see what they have to say. You are correct that my head needs to be 100% in the game! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/6/15 9:44 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you're dealing with depression and stress, it may be useful to find a counselor/therapist to talk to. Many folks find it very helpful as we go through the weight-loss process, and this could help you get a jump-start on keeping your head on track.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

FluffyTX
on 8/10/15 1:34 pm

Give your surgeon's office a call and let them know; they may have an alternate eating plan for this situation.

Losing weight before the surgery makes the procedure safer by shrinking the liver.  Smaller livers are easier for the surgeon to manipulate, and they are less prone to bleeding.  This makes for a shorter, faster, safer surgery.

Good Luck!  You still have plenty of time to do this; you're very wise to ask these questions now.  :)

murphyjo
on 8/11/15 10:26 am

My program requires to lose 12% from weigh-in before surgery.

If your pre op diet is anything like the Opti Fast I am required to do for 10 days, it is full of sugar. 3 of the first 4 ingredients are sugar or a sugar derivative...carbs make me swell up.  Its made by Nestle...Not sure the reasoning behind giving a sugar-addict (myself) who has been off refined sugar for 8 weeks, sugar bars and drinks to lose weight pre op, and not be hungry due to the blood sugar fluctuations.  Not working the best, I did better with my own protein shakes battling the hunger.  oh well, I will jump through the hoops.

and btw...the office wouldn't hear anything about substituting shakes....bummer...

kranky813
on 8/12/15 5:53 am
VSG on 08/20/15

I am self pay so I don't have as many hoops to jump through to qualify (although my surgeon made me go through most of them anyway to ensure that I was prepared for surgery). 

Murphyjo - a few years ago I went through this diet that was all liquid protein. You can buy the products from Naushanutrition.com it was 5 protein shakes a day and 2 protein snacks. I lost 50lbs in 3 months. I obviously gained all the weight back and then some or else I wouldn't be here. I am thinking about trying those shakes again just to drop the weight prior to surgery. 8 days... holy crap 8 days!!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 397 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views