Not what I expected

kranky813
on 8/23/15 7:28 am
VSG on 08/20/15

i am writing from my hospital bed. I am 3 days post op and had to be admitted for dehydration. Honestly this journey has bee so tough. I have no desire to eat or drink anything. When I do sip it hurts going down and the constant nausea is horrible. Please, if someone else has been down this path let me know. I have so much regret right now. Will it honestly get better?

Surgery Date: 8/20/2015 - CW 233 - GW 140

Ready2goNOW
on 8/23/15 7:48 am

Sorry you are having a hard time. I can't offer anything but sympathy...I am still pre-op.

but I have seen you on the boards so you know it is not uncommon to experience what you are going thru. A temporary setback. You'll get there...just hang in there!

Have you been given nausea meds?

Kathy

Gwen M.
on 8/23/15 8:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You've got to keep yourself hydrated.  Have you tried other temperatures and liquids?  Hot soup?  Hot tea?  Really cold water?  Room temperature crystal light?  Experiment with everything until you find something that works for you.  Sugar free popsicles are also a great tactic for many.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NikkiL2015
on 8/23/15 9:08 am - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

I had respiratory failure immediately following surgery.  They were unable to get me awake from the anesthesia, so I was on IV fluids and in ICU for 5 days prior to surgery.  Every day in the hospital I regretted the surgery.  Trust me when I tell you that it WILL get better!!  I wasn't allowed to take a drin****il about the 4th or 5th day and it was not pleasant at the time.  I did find the colder the better, or hot broth was also great.  You have to really try to sip, sip, and sip again!  I believe had they not had me on constant IV fluids I would have ended up dehydrated like yourself.  It is not fun when we have these complications.  The ICU said they had "almost lost" me several times during my stay before I was finally strong enough to move to a main unit.  You just have to stick in there and fight!  I have now lost almost 50 pounds since the week prior to surgery and it feels good. I started out rather large, so that 50 pounds hasn't made the huge difference that it sounds like, but it's 50 less that I have to deal with and that is worth the surgery in it's self!!!  You will get through this!

With all my prayers,

Nikki

chubbs54
on 8/24/15 12:01 pm

Hello Nikki,

Could you give me an idea of what you have been eating and are you on Stage III foods?

I had surgery on 7/27/15 but I seem to be at a stall now for 3 wks the scale has not moved since I seen my surgeon 8/7/15.

Regards,

Diane

psychoticparrot
on 8/23/15 1:35 pm

Not every sleever's recovery goes smoothly. Some sail right through (the lucky devils!). Others, like you and me and many others, have a rough time for a while.

I was readmitted not once, but twice, for dehydration in the 6 weeks following my surgery. During the first hospitalization, I had a kidney infection so severe the doctors told me I might not make it. Believe me, I regretted having the surgery. I was absolutely convinced that I had made the biggest (and maybe the last) mistake of my life. The surgeon finally prescribed Zofran, an anti-nausea med, and from then on I made progress every day toward eating normal healthy food again. 

Take one day, one hour, one minute at a time until you start to improve. You will improve.

Honestly, it will get better.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Kimmie22
on 8/23/15 1:55 pm

I am only 1 month out. I found that in the hospital eating ice was the best to ge****er in. I still find it hard at times to have the urge to eat or drink. Every time you can just try to take small sips. the pain does get better. and the whole process will get easier. don't push yourself to much but try a little bit more at a time. good luck.

jeepsportgirl
on 8/23/15 2:22 pm
VSG on 08/10/15

I'm sorry you are going through this. I sailed through surgery, was having an amazing recovery until 10 days out when I was sent to the ER for dehydration. That day and the next couple days I felt crappy. I'm finally starting to feel better again. I was given Zofran to help these past few days and it really did. I hope that you find something that works for you and you start feeling better! Thinking of you....

5'7" HW: 280.2 Consult Weight: 266.2 SW: 253 (VSG: 8/10/15) CW:219 

starrens
on 8/23/15 2:27 pm

It DOES get better! I promise!

I struggled with dehydration & nausea for a good 6 weeks after surgery. Ended up getting fluids twice in the ER. Had a hard time getting enough fluids down....let alone the minimum requirement of 64 ounces. 

BUT, it DID get better. I learned to stay on top of my fluids by sipping and buying drinks that I enjoy (on the approved list). I also found that, unlike maybe others, I get down cold drinks better than warm or room temperature. Also, my doctor gave me some nausea medicine and I stayed on top of those, which really helped. 

To this day (I'm 11 weeks out now), my body's response to me not getting enough fluids in is nausea and a bit of dizziness. I use that as a sign for me to sit down and drink. 

Anewme30906
on 8/23/15 2:41 pm

I understand how you're feeling...I had the procedure done on Wednesday and wasn't released until Friday evening due to the fact I could not hold my liquids down...everything i done had me nauseated... So therefore I couldn't drink nor walk. Which made my doc upset because of this but his can you do these things if you're head and stomach is quizzy. I was so upset and was regretting have this done because they failed to mention any of this to me....again I know what you're going thru...I contacted a friend that had this done she told me to drink some lemon water and gas x strips and walk...I tell it has really helped...no nausea today at all...keep your head up it has to get better...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 308 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 355 views