Surgery Sneaking Up...

Blueowlb23
on 10/1/15 11:14 am

Hi VSG'ers,

This is my first time posting but I've been lurking around these parts for a few months. A little background, I made my decision and started my journey toward surgery in beginning of Febr.. Went through 3 month weight management prog, psych evaluation, medical testing, etc.starting in May and today is 26 days until I'm scheduled to have my surgery eek! So, during that time I've been dealing w/ major work project that has just been completed.  Now I'm feeling what I can only imagine is similar to someone about to be embarking in hours on a vacation around the world and I haven't packed yet. I'm usually a preparer/planner but just feel a bit flat footed at this moment. I don't have my protein powder/drink situation figured out ye (I tried 2 prepared ones -- that were just not my cup of tea) & I haven't gotten into a working out groove routine/groove yet, which I've been trying to do all summer. 

Granted I've accomplished several thing this summer including 4 months plus streak of logging my food/liquids/movement via my fitness (which I sometimes think of fondly as my "shaming" pal.. since on some days it needs to gently remind me I haven't logged yet..) & I've focused on upping my water and maintained a weight loss of about 10lbs for last few months, but I still feel like the surgery is like a surprise sneak attack -- and driving into work I had an "Oh my God it's October" feeling. Normal? Any all advice, insight welcome!! Hope to become more active in posting. Also, I'm a long winded poster so thanks for making it to the end of this!

Sandra F.
on 10/2/15 6:16 am

Congratulations on your decision. I don't think I have seen anyone on here or other WLS sites I subscribe to that has regretted the decision. From reading many posts on here and other sites, I have discovered that there is a very real possibility of a 3 week stall, so just expect it and don't panic if it happens. Some even gain a couple of pounds in this period. Also, foods that you tolerate now may not go down well in the first 2 months or so after surgery. I was lactose intolerant and could not eat eggs for about 2 months or so. I can eat both now and never had a problem before the surgery. Both made me nauseous after surgery. Also, I have to emphasize, sip, sip, sip and sip some more. After surgery, getting your liquids in will be a challenge and you don't want to become dehydrated. Good luck to you!

cappy11448
on 10/2/15 6:28 am

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I found I over-prepared and got a lot of stuff I didn't need. The things I'd recommend are:

1. a small kitchen scale for weighing food.
  2. a few samples of protein shakes to try. tastes can change after surgery so I wouldn't buy too much of any one. I actually couldn't tolerate any sweet protein drink after surgery, so I relied on chicken broth and unflavored protein powder for the first few months.
  3. Chicken broth - I tolerated warm drinks better
  4. unfavored protein powder to mix into chicken broth, yogurt, pudding, jello, etc. just in case you cannot tolerate the sweet drinks.
  5. sugar free jello
  6. sugar free, fat free pudding
  7. yogurt
  8. cottage cheese or ricotta cheese for full liquid stage
  9. cream of veggie soups for full liquid stage

I brought my own pj's to the hospital and I was much more comfortable in my own pj's rather than the hospital johnies. I brought reading materials and my ipad but didn't use them. Wear loose pants and bring a pillow in the car to cushion your tummy under the seatbelt on the way home.

I think that's all I needed. You'll do fine.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Blueowlb23
on 10/3/15 8:37 am

Thank you both so much for your replies! I've found this board to be such an inspirational and motivational and supportive source the last few months. It's so helpful to have people who have "been there, done that" and have had such wonderful successes both scale and nsv's to get feedback and advice from. My wls binder (my program's instruction book of sorts had this obesity help as a suggested website resource).

I've been seeing the unflavored protein powder suggestion a lot and think that may be a good option for me (especially w/ chicken broth -- really like that suggestion). I know I've been told by my Nut team to avoid caffeine but I do like unsweetened ice tea so I think I'll ask if a decaffeinated iced tea could be an option (w/ unflavored protein powder).

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views