Surgery was on 10/6/15

paflyersgal
on 10/17/15 1:13 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

i had my sleeve done on 10/6/15 and was sent home on 10/7. My hospital stay wasn't all that bad. I probably annoyed my nurses all night with having to use the bathroom so darn much. I didn't need help going or walking or anything, but I had blood clot air bags on my legs and my IV machine was plugged into the wall. So every time I needed to get up they had to unhook me and then come back and hook me back up. I slept most of the time..

I didn't have much pain after I came home. The first two nights was hard to sleep.. I'm not a back sleeper so it was rather uncomfortable. I'm still not able to sleep on my left side just yet, but that's where my drainage tube was.

i eat a lot of yogurt.. and I am soooo sick of cream soups .. I am at a loss of what to eat. I've been eating oatmeal here and there but not much. I don't really feel hungry but .. I am worried I'm not getting in enough food. I eat some jello here and there and have peotien shakes, but other than yogurt.. I'm at a loss of what else to eat. I want to skip up to my 3-4 week stage and add eggs.. But.. I'm trying to behave! I go to the doctors on Monday to have my stitches removed and to get my work release. I figure once I am back to work I won't be thinking about food as much. It's not that I want to eat bad food or anything.. I just want something different..

Karen

Billy D.
on 10/17/15 2:47 pm

It's still early wouldn't worry about getting enough food yet, as long as you get in your protein shakes and liquids. I had my surgery the day after yours. 12 lbs have gone so far and I am not at all hungry yet. I hate all the cream soups but the Campbell's Cream of Shrimp isn't too bad, haven't tried oatmeal yet and never liked yogurt but like the Kefir which is like yogurt but thin like a shake. I didn't get stitches, they were superglued shut nor a drain tube, I guess it depends on each person or their doctor. I still cannot sleep but it is not from pain, just as I was before this only worse. I was coughing up clear mucus when I laid down which I was told is normal and comes from sleeve. I bought a body pillow and that did help a lot as I am a side sleeper too. Just make sure you are ready for work as I read a lot of post here where they weren't ready and ended up calling in sick after. Bring your GasX or whatever you think you may need. Good luck!

Tiki3211
on 10/17/15 3:33 pm

I had my surgery Sept. 29th. Be careful in rushing the food graduation. When I was allowed to eat soft foods like eggs, I did....just be sure to gradually work in a new food slowly. What I mean...the first opportunity I got I had an egg for breakfast, I forgot what I had for lunch, and then I had tilapia for dinner plus my protein shake. Way too much food...so much pain and then I got sick. Wasn't a good experience. I suggest starting with a protein drink for breakfast, 4 crackers with 2tb. Of almond butter and the a protein drink for dinner, then each day ad something slowly. Work your way up to three meals...this may take week three and four to do. Good luck with your progression.

Laura R.
on 10/17/15 3:55 pm

I was sleeved on October 5th. I did not have stitches or drain tubes either. I have a hard time with yogurt so mostly my protein is coming from shakes right now. My dr requires 80 grams a day and I have not yet been able to do over 70 grams. I have tried jello and a few bites of applesauce. I was able to keep down blended pea and bean soup. I have been cleared for soft foods so I was excited and tried some French onion soup today. Big mistake. That was the first time my stomach rejected anything. It was awful. I feel the same as you as far as being bored and not sure if I am getting enough food but I think it's just takes time. Wish I had a time machine! Hang in there!! Laura

paflyersgal
on 10/17/15 4:19 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

I find it hard to get in my 80 grams of protein as well. It takes me forever to drink a shake and by a certain time it starts to thicken and becomes undrinkable and I end up tossing half of it. I however eat a lot of Greek yogurt, which is 13 grams.. So.. I am getting some but reaching 80 every day has been a struggle.

I haven't felt sick or anything.. So I feel pretty lucky on that part. I'm just sick of cream soup .. Lol.. and once I am out of the full liquids stage.. I don't think I will ever eat cream soup again.

I just wonder how others felt with the disgust.. Yanno from eating the same thing for two weeks. Just the smell of the soup cooking is a big ewwww to me.

What other things can you eat? I have yogurt, oatmeal, shakes, jello and pudding .. But that's all. Wednesday I consider the start of week 3.. So I am looking forward to moving into the purée stage and adding some new things.

Karen

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/17/15 11:38 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I don;t remember eating oatmeal,maybe you found a high-protein kind. For the first 3 weeks ( or more) it took hours to drink the 12 oz protein shake. I did better with the premixed kind in a can rather than a powder. It didn't thicken as easily. Jello does not have much protein either. I just through out Jello that has been in the back of my refrig for 10 months, I never ate them after surgery.

After a week, I wanted something that tasted real. But I persisted and stayed with my doctors guidelines. After 3-6 weeks, it got alot easier.

Hang in there.

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/15 4:51 am

You aren't far out from surgery so I'd be very careful about eating anything outside your liquid or mush phase. Can cause lots of discomfort and vomiting. I creamed pretty much anything that would blend up. Cottage cheese can be blended and flavored with lots of things both sweet and savory. I also tried quite a few of those squeezy baby food packages. Some of them are really good. You can make pudding from a mix and add protein powder. I made jello with both milk and yogurt in it. Good luck.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/23/15 7:00 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I made sure I got the 60-80gs of protein in - and then ate what I could. At 6 months i had some hair loss, but not noticeable to others. Someone told me sufficeienct protein would help minimize hair loss.

Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 259 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views