Frustrated by Early Stall

SDenae
on 10/25/15 11:28 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

I had my sleeve surgery on the Sept. 23 of this year and I've already hit a stall. Since Oct. 3, I've only lost 1.5 lbs and I've only lost 11 lbs total since my surgery 4.5 weeks ago.

I just really don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I walk 1.5 miles a day (except Sunday) and do weight training 3 days a week. I eat according to the guidelines that my WLC gave me; protein first, then veggies and fruits. My calorie count is usually between 600-800. I'm struggling with getting in 64 ounces of water per day, but I almost always get 40+.

I know the exercise and weight training is building muscle and all that, but I thought that muscle was supposed to help burn fat. I'm doing the weight training because I thought it would help speed up the weight loss. Should I stop?

I just don't know what the heck's going on, but I'm feeling so let down. I just want to cry.

Sorry to whine.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Jennifer G.
on 10/26/15 8:35 am

I'm in a similar boat ... 4 weeks out and only down 10 lbs; haven't lost anything in the last week. I'm so disappointed.

SDenae
on 10/26/15 8:55 am - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

I'm so sorry to hear that, Jennifer G. I am so disappointed, as well.

What things have you considered trying to get the scales to show a loss? I've heard that you should go back to the basics to wake up your system, so I tried to do a liquid diet for a day or two. I couldn't do it, though, because I still feel hunger after my surgery (even stronger than I did before, actually.) My stomach wouldn't hush, so I eventually gave in and ate solid foods. My next thought is to lay off the weights for a while and just walk.

I contacted my WLC and asked them what to do. All they said was "keep doing what you're doing." Argh.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130

^ Total weight lost

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/26/15 9:02 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

All I can say is that you've only had surgery a month ago, your body still might be healing from surgery. Follow your Drs plan for you & the weight will come off. That first month or so is your body getting rid of the fluids & toxins from the surgery. I'm not sure what your protein goals are & if you're up to eating solid food, but for me, I didn't sweat the numbers for the first couple of months after surgery because I was going thru the food stages, I was healing from surgery, & I was just starting to get my energy back. I was learning, trying to get to my water, protein & vitamin goals, etc,etc.

Its a process, you're doing fine, take measurements. The scale is just 1 indicator of weight loss. Your exercising & that's great, your body needs time to get used to your new routine. Stay with your Drs plan for you & the weight will come off.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

SDenae
on 10/26/15 9:31 am - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Thank you for the encouragement, T. You're right. I just need to keep chugging along and focus on the stuff I can control. The rest will follow. :)

PS: If I may ask, I've seen others on this board with something about Hag in either their name or on their profiles. What's that about? TIA

^ Total weight lost

White Dove
on 10/26/15 4:12 pm - Warren, OH

Some of the people on the board offered advice to a poster who was not following her plan.

She posted back something like "I will not listen to you hags".

So those people changed their username to include hag.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/26/15 11:22 am - MI

They call it a stall for a reason! Just stay the course and you will see the scale move!! If I had a dollar for every time I see a post on here about a stall I'd be rich! How do you feel physically? Have you noticed a change in how your clothes are fitting? Stalls happen....it is what it is! Don't beat yourself up and think about the weight you have lost!!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

SDenae
on 10/26/15 12:40 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

I understand that stalls will happen, I just didn't think it would happen so soon. I'm only a month out and not losing weight. It's discouraging to see where other people have lost 20-40 lbs in the first month or two and I'm losing none. For this to happen so early makes me think the surgery was a waste of time and money. (I know I shouldn't compare myself to others, but it's hard not to.)

Patience has never been a virtue that I possess.

Anyway, to answer your other questions: I have noticed some change in the way my clothes fit. For instance, my gym pants used to be tight on my thighs, but I noticed last week that I have room to move in them. Also, I had to buy a new swimsuit and I decided to get a size 16 so I might be able to wear it longer. My old one was a size 22 and I didn't expect to be able to wear the new one for a little while, but I could! I feel like a sausage in a casing in it, but it fits. lmao

As for how I feel physically, I feel fine. I'm starting to see some of that energy that I've heard so much about. I no longer go to the gym because I feel I have to, but because I actually want to.

^ Total weight lost

Neonanrs
on 10/27/15 8:21 am

I had my surgery on the same day as you. My sw weight was 212.9 and I am now at 191.1. I read somewhere on this post that if you follow the diet and move the weight will come off quicker. So 5 days after surgery I started walking 2-3 miles a day very slowly. Two weeks out my surgeon cleared me to weight lift but my doctor told me to continue walking. So I upped my walking to 5 miles 10,000 steps a day. I hope this helps. It seems like the more I move, the more water I take in, the more I lose. I also read somewhere on this site that the first six months is when you lose the most. So I am taking advantage of this time. I exercise even when I don't want to. I am not bragging just trying to help. This is my first time writing on this post but since our surgery date was on the same day and we are close to the same starting weight, I felt the need to comment.

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views