Pain??

healthymekg
on 11/12/15 8:01 am

What kind of pain did you have after surgery?  Is it like a stomach ache type of pain, or is it soreness from your incisions?  I'm trying to imagine what I will feel like. 

ej1971
on 11/12/15 8:23 am

This time around, I only got incisional pain, and it was primarily at the incision in the lower right abdomen.  I would highly recommend you ask the anasthesiologist for a tap block.  It numbs up your abdomen for 12-18 hours.  It makes the necessary getting up and walking around the day of surgery much easier.  

The other pain you might get is the gas pain.  This is unfortunately pretty bad and often will be felt in your left shoulder.  I didn't get that this time, thank goodness, but I did get it when I had my lap band and gall bladder surgeries.  The only way to get rid of that is walking (which is where the tap block might help).

Good luck. 

Tracy D.
on 11/12/15 8:37 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My pain was purely soreness from the incisions.  If you've never had any kind of abdominal surgery I'm not sure it can be described.  But don't worry, it's absolutely manageable. I had surgery Friday, went home on Sunday and was driving myself around on Tuesday.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/15 9:29 am

I didn't have anything I'd describe as a stomach ache type pain. The incisions were a little sore. The tummy just felt kinda like when it is full (swelling I guess). Worst for me was some stabbing type pains I got when I moved around more 2-3 weeks later. I  thought maybe it was internal stitches pulling. Good luck.

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/15 9:37 am

I only had incision pain. It was sometimes intense when the abs were asked to move or flex in a specific way. Sitting up from a reclined position meant rolling over on my side and propping myself up using my arms instead of my abdominal muscles. Never felt any internal pain at all - not even a slight hint of nausea. Sleeve of Steel from the get go! 

White Dove
on 11/12/15 9:55 am - Warren, OH

I had no pain and if I did not look at the incisions I would not have believed that I had even had surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

psychoticparrot
on 11/12/15 9:42 pm

I had soreness from the incisions; no stomach pain or gas pain. I found the extreme fatigue from the surgery to be far more troublesome.

But, I've read many posts here from post-op sleevers who had a great deal of pain.

There isn't any way to predict where in that pain spectrum you will fall. But if it turns out that you do have a lot of pain, your surgeon just happens to have a lot of painkillers. Don't be shy to ask for them.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Wanda1118
on 11/13/15 5:43 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I didn't have much pain, however I had a lot of burning which my surgeon said is normal in some patients..I am 16 months post op and still have some vomiting...it goes in spurts...I can go weeks without and then I may have a few days throwing up once again. For having a major surgery, I was amazed how easy it was to get over it! Good luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views