Two Months Post-Op!

paflyersgal
on 12/6/15 9:25 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Hello Everyone!!

Today, I am officially two months Post-Op!! Last month I weighed in at 338.4 lbs. Today I am chiming in at 325.6 lbs. Its been a very long journey to get this far, and I can't believe how things have changed in just a short amount of time. When I first met with my surgeon I was sad and ashamed, I broke down it in tears when I was weighed in. I was sitting at 413 lbs.

When I looked at myself in the mirror, I said to myself I don't look like I weight that much. This has to be a lie. However; I know it wasn't a lie. I know that I was at my highest weight ever and I was sad, ashamed and scared for myself. These are the reasons I started this journey, and I couldn't be more happier that I did. I thank my dear friend Chris and her husband, who went through this same rollercoaster. Without her support and the encouragement I don't think I would of ever went to that second appointment. I am glad I did.

I started my journey back in February 2015. That's when I first met my surgeon. It was a brief appointment, he quickly explained the surgery and that was all. I remember leaving there with the thoughts of.. this man is a quack, and I'm not going to travel an hour to and from for appointments. So I cancelled my first nutrition appointment and decided I wasn't ready for this change.

The nutritionist called me a few times, asking me to set up a new appointment. She told that I had to be consecutive with my appointments or my insurance would not cover the procedure. After some thought and some emotional moments with my boyfriend (who at first didn't want me to go through with the surgery) I went to my appointment, and I never looked back. My insurance required me to have 6 months monitored diet with the nutritionist before I could have surgery. This was a great thing!! Although I hated waiting so long, I believe it prepared my mind for what was to come. I learned how to portion my meals, what to eat and what to eat less of and what to stay away from if at all possible.  

In my 6 month journey to surgery I lost 53 lbs. This was from eating healthier and going to the gym. I was working my tail off. My doctor only asked me to lose 20 lbs. before surgery, so he was very proud of my loss. Some people have noticed the difference in my weight while others either don't notice or don't want to say anything for fear of offending me. I am not shy about it anymore, I am happy and proud to say that I have lost weight. I am closing in on that 100 lbs. lost mark.. it is soooooo close I get super excited about it.

In the past two months I have learned a lot about myself. I learned that my willpower is stronger that I ever thought it was. I was never giving myself enough credit. Yes, the sleeve is a tool, and it triggers my brain to stop eating and not to eat as much, but what it doesn't do.. it doesn't tell me what to eat and what not to eat. I've never had a problem with food since surgery, aside from coffee flavored Greek yogurt.. yuck! I have learned how to portion out my food, how to pick meals higher in protein. How to read labels on food and stay away from processed foods. I have learned how to not give up things that I LOVE for fear of eating something that I shouldn't. I have learned cauliflower is a great substitute for a pizza crust!!  I have learned that tacos are just as good as a "salad" with out a shell. I have learned that chicken can be made so many ways!! I know that this is just the beginning and the more I learn and more comfortable I feel in my own skin, the happier I will be and the brighter my future looks.

My Journey:

• Highest Weight : 413 (2/2015)
  • Surgery Weight : 360 (10/2015) -53 lbs.
  • 1 Month Post-Op : 338.4 (11/2015) -21.6 lbs.
  • 2 Months Post-Op : 325.6 (12/2015) -12.8 lbs.

Karen

Neesie57
on 12/6/15 10:39 am
VSG on 08/04/15

You look wonderful.  Your picture clearly shows your weight loss, so I'm surprised that more people aren't commenting about it.  If they aren't doing it now, it won't be long before they do.  Keep up the good work, you're an inspiration.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

paflyersgal
on 12/7/15 12:06 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

Thank you so much! I don't always notice the change just by looking at myself, however; when I put my clothes on I can feel the difference! It really makes it real.. because sometimes.. it doesn't feel real.

best wishes always!

Karen

Ready2goNOW
on 12/6/15 11:43 am

Great job! Congratulations on how far you have come!

We had our surgeries close together & I could echo much about what you wrote about the denial, the benefits of the 6 month wait to begin learning about & practicing new eating habits. I lost 75 pre-op, but not as quickly post op. I am told it will 'catch up' but I am happy to be down a total of 90+ pounds.

I couldn't even see it myself until my daughter did some side by side photos. Some ppl noticed & complimented me, but since they knew how hard I had worked for this I assumed they were 'being nice.'

I never did this to look better...I did it for my health so the attention I am getting is a nice benefit.

Good luck on your (& our) continued journeys. I'd do it again & again it feels so damn good. Almost better than sex...lol!

Kathy

paflyersgal
on 12/7/15 12:09 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

Thank you!! I am glad you said "almost better than sex" hahahaha.. because WOW.. sex got so much better once some of the weight came off.. I can't wait until I reach goal!! LOL. I look forward to seeing your journey too! It's going to be a great ride, with great friends on these boards the future has so many possibilities!!

Best Wishes Always!!

Karen

Dan1962
on 12/6/15 12:16 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Congratulations on your progress!..Keep it up and more great things will happen for you.

LS2dv8
on 12/6/15 12:20 pm

Congratulations!  You are doing fantastic and looking great Monday

Keep it up! 

LS2DV8

CareBear2015
on 12/6/15 1:59 pm - TX

Wow!!! Your doing fantastic!!! I started my journey in May 2015 and lost weight before my surgery in October. I am not losing as much as you are but reading your story puts a big smile on my face! I am so happy for you and I will be catching up with ya soon.  It does feel good to not be sad all the time .

paflyersgal
on 12/7/15 12:16 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

Thanks!! I've come to realize everyone loses at different levels. I at first was kind of sad thinking it wasn't working for me, and how big did he leave my sleeve.. lol.. those were my first thoughts, but after the first month I realized that its my own personal journey, and yes others have had this surgery, but their journey is theirs and mine is mine. We will all have different outcomes, but the most important one, is that the weight does come off and we become healthier and happier, and live a wonderful life knowing that we took control and made a stand in the struggle that is food.. Best wishes always, and may our journey be a happy one!! I look forward to sharing our journeys!

Karen

Aleyna1228
on 12/6/15 4:05 pm

Congratulations!  You can really see the results in your pics.  Keep up the good job and keep working that sleeve!

Age- 35 | 5'4" | Surgery VSG - 9/21/15

Highest/Consult- 250 | Surgery- 235 | Current- 143 | Goal- 145 |

| M1-22 | M2-10 | M3-13 | M4-13 | M5-13 | M6-10| M7 - 8| M8- 3| Total Lost - 107|

Reached goal in 7 months 1 week and now maintaining!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 261 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views