Drinking drinking drinking...

Darcy G.
on 4/19/16 5:36 am
VSG on 04/07/16

Hey y'all :)

Chances are good that I can get out today if I can drink 40 oz water... I'm doing OK so far, but since my default insta-hydration method was to chug it... And obviously that's not going to work for me now...

I still have some nausea when I fill my tiny tummy with water and it seems to take forever to drain out.

Thinking more walking will help it drain faster? Any other tips than sip,sip,sip?

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 4/19/16 7:09 am
VSG on 01/11/16
On April 19, 2016 at 12:36 PM Pacific Time, Darcy G. wrote:

Hey y'all :)

Chances are good that I can get out today if I can drink 40 oz water... I'm doing OK so far, but since my default insta-hydration method was to chug it... And obviously that's not going to work for me now...

I still have some nausea when I fill my tiny tummy with water and it seems to take forever to drain out.

Thinking more walking will help it drain faster? Any other tips than sip,sip,sip?

Maybe change up the temp of the fluids? Warm/hot fluids go down easier and quicker for me without making me feel queasy.  I have recently found that I have better luck drinking cold fluids from a water bottle than a cup.. no idea why, lol 

luvmypuggies
on 4/19/16 9:24 am

Geez, you've really been on the struggle-bus (my kids' fave expression when times get tough).  I didn't realize you were back in the hospital until I went back and read all the comments from your last post.  I'm very glad that you got medical attention instead of waiting it out though!

I don't think there is any short-cut to sip-sip-sip unfortunately.  As someone already mentioned, try different temperatures of water, and I added a splash of apple juice to mine (suggested by nurses) for variety.  I like water, but after sipping it all day long, even that gets tough to choke down sometimes, so a little flavor was a nice change and made it easier to drink.

Walking seems to help everything move along digestively, although I can't say whether draining would be faster.  Can't hurt to walk more though.

Sounds like you're on the mend finally, so crossing my fingers that the rest of your recovery is quick and trouble-free!! Hope you're able to go home today.

Darcy G.
on 4/19/16 9:53 am
VSG on 04/07/16

Hard to change up the temperatures in here, no Apple juice either, tho I'm definitely putting that on my DEFINITELY TRY list.

I got attention fully expecting they would just give my IV fluids, but the Dr was more of a thorough type than that, luckily. The elevated white cells were a big surprise.

My intestinal distress had nothing to do with sugar alcohols...

As of probably the days ago, five of my surgery sites don't hurt at all. The sixth--the big one--is tender and gives a sharp stab when I sneeze. I actually have gotten well from the surgery fast, it's the complications that have sucked. The C-diff was by far the worst part. I still have no idea how I got that before I was even allowed out of bed. But the first mad dash to the bathroom should've clued me in...

Getting discharged! Fleeing boards to call my brother to chime get me.

Whooooohooooo!!!!!!

emelar
on 4/19/16 10:59 am - TX

Walking will help.  Stretching (think "reach for the sky") will also help move things out - at least it does for me.

I'm glad you're doing better and sure you'll be happy to be home again!

michellemj
on 4/19/16 11:00 am

For me, I could only tolerate Smar****er. No idea. and I love tap water (I live in NYC and it's some of the best), but if I tried to drink postsurgery, I'd feel like I wanna die.

and sip,sip,sip is best. 1oz every 10-15min. The last thing you want, after all you've already dealt with, is dehydration.

DiaMon
on 4/19/16 8:00 pm
VSG on 03/12/14

Water temperature makes a world of difference. I used to love (not that I don't anymore**** cold water, the colder the better.... So when I was trying to up my intake I was so unhappy I was having trouble getting my fluids in more quickly.... Until I happened to have room temperature water and then it hit me.... The cold water was making me hurt, and I could down room temperature water no problem. 

So I'd give it a try, change it up a little and you will probably see results! (=

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/20/16 2:45 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

So glad to hear you are getting better!  I add crystal light lemonade to my water for sipping.  I don't like the taste of plain water now and it actually feels uncomfortable going down sometimes for some odd reason.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views