Hernia and small bowel obstruction

windchimes
on 5/19/12 4:25 am
I'm two weeks post op from having a hernia repair and small bowel obstruction repair. The surgeon that did my surgery said it was caused by my RNY I had three years ago. I'm confused how he knows this is from my gastric bypass. Any way it was a very horrible experience which I don't wish on my worst enemy. Has anyone had complications so far out after there RNY. I'm wondering do I need to contact Dr. Suh who did my gastric bypass and let him know what happened or just leave it as it is.

Not the Same Dawn
on 5/19/12 12:18 pm - BEE EFF EEE, CA
I would have a talk with Dr Suh, he's the expert!..there are some gastro doctors out there *****ally don't know bypass things..seriously. I went to a gastro enterologist for a colonoscopy and he recommended that I take aspirin, when he KNEW I had RNY..When it comes to my pouch, I only trust my surgeon.
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
datorres
on 5/19/12 5:03 pm
 It is scary when ot comes to going to a Dr who has no knowledge in RNY. My pcp jokes with me that I'm an expierment to her because I am her first RNY patient ever. Sometimes I feel like I am teaching her. So yeah I would call my surgeon if I were you.
windchimes
on 5/20/12 5:24 am
I'm going to give Dr Suh's office a call tomorrow and let them know what happened so if they feel I need to be seen by him they can send a referral to my primary doctor,

Susan-C.
on 5/26/12 4:36 am
 I had a small bowel obstruction but not a hernia about 3.5 years post op.  Its so nice to be able to eat again without pain, its finally fixed.   1st surgery 4/30 then surgery again on the 15th or 16th.  Not sure if you had the same problem or not but my surgeon said it happens 1 to 2 %  of the time 3 to 5 years out.  
nascar24n48
on 5/27/12 9:22 am
I was told if I ever had a complication, obstruction or issue that "could" be related to my  GI track that I should check myself into the ER where I had my RNY. That would be in Murrietta-- 2 hours away where Dr. Suh was my surgeon in 2008.  I would not trust any ER here to know what my rearranged insides look like. I would follow up with Dr. Suh. 

Preop 242  Height 5'4"  Current: 145 Want to get back to 135. ZERO Complications! ZERO Vomiting  (Chew, chew, chew)! ZERO Regrets!

windchimes
on 5/27/12 10:46 am
I was never told that by Dr Suh or any of his staff. I didn't know I  had a blockage at the time. I didn't know what the heck was wrong and I sure wouldn't have been able to make it all the way to wildomar at that time. I needed to get to the closest hospital which was my hospital.I am going to see Dr Suh I talked to his nurse and she said it would be good to see him and go over everything with him. I'm just waiting for the referal to be approved which pro bally will be by the end of this upcoming week.

cdbrewster2
on 7/22/12 9:47 am
I am one year post op from RNY and was recently diagnosed with a hernia. One month later, after a CT Scan, I am diagnosed with an anterior abdominal hernia wall with bowel. Been having pain with digesting and nausea. I am going to a surgeon, but thinking about going back to the doctor that did my bypass. I believe that he knows more about me and what is going on inside than any other surgeon. When I had the RNY, I had major complications that lead to two follow up surgeries with repairs, so I am a little concerned with having someone new going in. Plus, my surgeon promised to get rid of any excess skin too. My husband is skeptical and thinks that the surgeon does not want another doctor going in and finding something wrong with his work. I had a horrible experience with infections, twice, and drain tubes. Now, I just want to feel better. By the way everyone, I recently had a bout with a liver abcess and infection--did anyone experience this.
Most Active
Recent Topics