Does the malabsorbsion issue lessen the further post-op we get?

Karen K.
on 3/13/13 11:00 am - Weymouth, MA
I am 7 yrs post op and taking some new meds.....one is a sustained release version. I do think it is helping but I wonder if I am absorbing it correctly. These are cuckoo meds and I am referring to Wellbutrin SR (sustained release) thx, KK
jlmartin
on 3/13/13 11:44 pm - Random Lake, WI

I would run this question past your Pharmacist; they are the experts on stuff like this.

As far as I know: Yes, malabsorption changes but never becomes "normal" so SR type medications can be tricky.

Miss Liss
on 3/14/13 11:55 pm

I was told that the farther out we get, the "better' the body is at adapting, and it becomes able to absorb more calories, but that the malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals is forever.  I was also told that I didn't need to take time released meds.  I would just talk with your pharmacist to be sure. 

MyBariatricLife
on 4/5/13 2:21 pm

I was told by a healthcare professional not to take the extended release versions of any medications because they would pass through my system before they could be absorbed effectively. In fact, we specifically were discussing Wellbutrin, which I take thegeneric version of.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active
Recent Topics