gas

lacygirlcat
on 9/8/13 1:23 am - Morehead, KY

I'm almost 7 years out and have been having terrible gas pains for some time now...a probiotic and gas x seems to help but is this normal for RNY?

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEW2DAL/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wEW2DAL/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/8/13 9:13 pm, edited 9/9/13 4:09 am
Any time I had really severe gas's pains that lasted for months - I would end up in surgery to fix my internal issues. If you were pain free for time after surgery and the pains started rather recently - you may have developed some food sensitivity, or constipation, or may have bad bacteria overgrown (I e. If you took some antibiotics) or even yeast.
Changes in diet - introducing new foods or even new vitamins - supplements (most have fillers).
I have very sensitive gut ( not sure if RNY caused that or I was like that before and age makes me more sensitive).
Just recently I decided to change my diet to limit the gas and pain...
I discovered FODMAP diet - recommended for IBS people (not sure I have that???? ).
The FODMAP free- gluten free- and low carb diet makes a huge difference for me. It really works for me. Google that.
My gas pains (and the smell) were bad, now - I get reminder when I eat some food that I know I am not suppose to...)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

insideout
on 10/28/13 1:04 pm

I was having the same problems..no help from doctors just very costly. What I take and it has helped me so much.. I stay away from eating a lot of carbohydrates and sugar...drink at least 2/36 oz's of water a day. If I know that I will eat some food that is gonna cause me to be gasy..I take some gas relief pills up to 5 (not at one time) maybe wait 30 minutes before taking next,  along with dairy digestive supplements. This I know helps me a whole lot. If I drink beer which I love it will give me so much gas I have to be put in solitude confinement. So I am staying away from beer. 

manders7
on 11/26/13 4:13 am

Hello!  I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.  I am 7 years post-op as well and I ALWAYS have gas.  Not always gas pains but I am often bloated and tooting quite often.  My doctor diagnosed me with IBS recently, which is mostly stress-induced.  Aside from the IBS, I had gas before I was diagnosed.  I think it is a normal part of our post-op lives.  I do find that if I am eating a lot of fiber I get a lot of gas, so I have to be careful and eat soluble fiber first and then insoluble fiber.  Also, too many carbs cause me to be gassy.  I take Beano but it doesn't seem to do the job too well.  Gas X only works when I take 2 or 3 at a time, which only causes the bloating to break up and allow me to "relieve" my gas.

Sometimes when I have gas pains I drink fennel or peppermint tea.  It really helps.  I am more gassy and prone to issues during my period.  A lot of women are.  I started taking Accuflora probiotic last week, and I am allowing it to adjust to my system (at first it causes gas, just what I need!) but eventually it starts to regulate the digestive system.  If you do take a probiotic, watch out for the ingredient inulin, a prebiotic that can often sit in the colon and ferment, causing even more gas.

My doctor said my gas is caused by IBS, but even a post-op life can be quite gassy because of how we digest foods.  If the pains are terrible for you, perhaps ask your doctor or dietician to see if you have any food intolerances (gluten, lactose, etc.) or test for SIBO (small-intestine bacterial growth) or just a general check up to see how things are looking inside.

Amanda  
Gastric bypass RNY
5/8/2006 - Dr. James Koren
290 initial/165 goal

Most Active
Recent Topics