It's Been Six Years - Here are a few things I know for sure - X post

lynnc99
on 7/16/15 2:45 pm

I also posted a variation of this on the RNY board - a few reflections on my 6 year surgi-versary. I'd love other grads to add to the list!

Yesterday actually, was my 6 year surgi-versary. It's been a wonderful ride, no doubt about it. Yes, I've dealt with regain and had to face that head on in the last several months (pretty successfully!) - but I'm really close to the perfect weight for me and not complaining one single bit!

So to celebrate, here are a few things I've learned about living with RNY. Other vets - feel free to add to the list!

1. Follow the rules. We made our own rules for many years. Our own rules led us to the place called morbid obesity. Now we have agreed to follow the rules set down by a surgeon, forever. The temptation will come to make our own rules once again, or at least to see what we can "get away with." Don't. Just don't. 

2. When it comes to food, stick with the basics and you'll have solid success. Protein first. Veggies. A little fruit if there's room. Eventually, maybe a little bread on a special occasion (and for me it has to be r-e-a-l-l-y good bread, not just anything). We have to be careful - always. I read an article a while back that said when it comes to weight loss, "there is no after." As in - before and after. There is before. And there is now. We can never say we're "done." Success is, for us, a verb. We have to keep on keeping on - succeessing, as it were!

3. If we think that thin people can eat anything they want, and therefore we will someday be able to eat anything we want.....we're wrong. Flat out wrong. Most thin people are vigilant and disciplined about food. 

4. Ditto exercise. I've been a devout exerciser....and then not so devout. The best mentor I have simply knows and teaches she MUST live an active lifestyle in order to maintain her weight, her health, and do the best she can do. I guess there are some people somewhere who do indeed love to work out, but I'm not one of them. Still, I have to push myself to do what I can push myself to do. And it is a PUSH. 

4. If you face regain, it's complicated. We know the answers with regard to what to eat. But we often don't really know what is actually going into our mouths. We have to log it, for better or worse. We have to face guilt and shame and fear that we've failed, even after surgery. But we CAN get hold of ourselves again, and turn the trend around. We have a powerful tool that will work for us, as long as we work with it. Set a weight range and let alarms go off if you hit the upper end of that range. For me, if I find myself avoiding the scale....it's sure to be trouble.

5. Savor the NSV's, however far out you may be. Every time the jeans zip right out of the dryer, every time you get a compliment at work, and even every time you do something without worrying about how fat you are....it's a victory. It gets harder, because it's hard to celebrate the things that become routine, but be conscious every time you cross your legs, or fit easily into a theater seat, or whatever it may be for you. Be mindful and try to keep a perspective on how life might have been without the miracle of surgery.

6. Pay attention to your body. It will let you know when you need to move, when you're hungry, when you're tired. I'm still working on this. I know that for years, I turned to food rather than resting when I needed it. 

7. If you're tempted to test your body by loading up on sugar, pizza, alcohol, or whatever else might strike your fancy, really give this a serious look. Pause and think about what you are doing and why. It is hard to be mindful (and what a buzz word that has become). I know that the old habits lie in wait for us. They are right around the next corner, waiting for us to be weak or impulsive or...well, whatever. They are patient and they never truly go away. We are vulnerable to those old habits - still. Always, I think. 

new.life88
on 7/16/15 4:30 pm - CA

This is a FANTASTIC post - thank you for your posting; really excellent concise straight up advice!

jastypes
on 7/28/15 10:45 am - Croydon, PA

This is fabulous, Lynn.  You know I agree with every single thing you said.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

sor09
on 8/13/15 9:09 pm

Thanks the list of post op things to remember. I am trying to keep focused on these things too, daily. I prep for WLS and life after surgery fanatically and it was worth it all. Post op coping skills are my gold for success. I been maintaining since going back is too scary. Thanks again for sharing your experiences for staying successful.

Paige1243
on 8/29/15 11:06 pm - Austintown, OH

I am having trouble with lightheaded ness. Low blood sugar! I have gained 20 pounds back because of not exercising regularly, stress with taking care of sister and ex husband new job assignment,fibromyalgia and neck pain? Any suggestions. I know that I am not getting enough protein! Help!

lynnc99
on 8/30/15 7:18 am

Paige I have experienced occasional low blood sugar - no fun!

It sounds like you have two good solutions right in your post. First - get your protein in. Protein is our fuel. You've got a lot going on in life and your body is dealing with the fibromyalgia on top of it all. Treat yourself well - fuel your body. Commit to doing that today - it's more important than I can say. 

Exercise is something that I have slacked off badly in recent months - change in my routines, blah blah blah. No excuse, just not doing it. I can tell you what I know (in my head!) to be true....that if we just do something small every day and take small steps in the right direction, it will help. Have 10 minutes to walk? Do it. I'm a pro at making excuses because (1) I prefer going to a workout class, (2) The class has to be one I like, (3) The one I like is only offered while I'm at work, (4) The other one I like after work means I don't get home till late....you get the message. 

But anyway. Get the protein needs covered pronto! 

Then go to green veggies. 

A little fruit.

Purge the refined carbs - they are never good news.

Drink your water and take your vitamins. 

It's not revolutionary stuff. The consistency is the hardest part. 

That will get you started in the right directions.

Paige1243
on 8/30/15 8:12 am - Austintown, OH

I was drinking the Premiere protein and stopped but I will go back. I suffer with constipation which make me feel sluggish! Any suggestions? Thx for answering me! I really want to lose 20 pounds 

Most Active
Recent Topics