TMI Not sure if the right place...as I'm not "finished"...but 3 years out...I...

Auveca
on 2/17/16 10:08 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

Good morning OH!  It has been a long while since I have been on the boards.  But I know...if I have a questions...this is the place to be!  I am struggling with some kind of illness, GI upset.  This maybe the 2nd or 3rd time since my VSG, but I realize I have never been able to vomit when ill.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I don't mean the regurgitating when you ate too much, but the heave from you toenails when you feel like total deflated dog poo and nothing is going to make you feel better until you vomit you liver out your mouth so you roll around in pain and agony until it moves the other direction and the virus inflames your lower GI tract.  Does anyone else have this affliction?  I have always been a pretty good puker, quiet, quick, not a lot of heaving...just open and go.  Now when ill, all I want is that 30 minutes of feeling decent after a good hurl but I can't get there.  :P  yuck.

MyLady Heidi
on 2/25/16 1:53 am

I can't vomit since surgery, spit up a bit but no vomitting as you describe, but I was bulimic for many years prior to wls and I think I broke my ability to vomit when I quit.  I really don't think I can physically vomit and never have in nearly 11 years.

ChristyO
on 3/1/16 12:57 am
RNY on 02/01/16

I can't vomit, but dry heave everyday, after taking my meds,  I would feel so much better if I could, Not being able to vomit has something to do with the bypass of the real stomach.  I even think, what if i ever choked, I would not be able to vomit it up.  Again it's to do with the bypass somehow, I don't like it. 

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

Reverend
on 3/18/16 6:23 am

TMI question, so I really have no option but a TMI response. :)

Yeah, I pretty much have a one way valve too.

Even 5 years out after RNY, I can get rid of the last couple of bites if I mistakenly eat a little more than I should, but once food is "down the hatch," it's only coming out one way. As a result, when I get to the point that I need to vomit (stomach flu, food poisoning, whatever it is; I read once that 80% of what we call stomach flu is actually mild food poisoning, so I don't know), my body responds by churning the food intestinally until it makes its way out.

I have no encourage words to offer -- but misery loves company. You're not alone; maybe that knowledge will help.

Good luck!

Kathyjs
on 4/26/16 8:09 am

wow!!!!! I thought it was just me. I can not throw up either. I have not had the flu since surgery either , thank God. Been 13 years for me. I never mentioned this as I thought I was alone 

Linda_S
on 4/27/16 1:07 pm - Eugene, OR

Nine years out for me and no, I cannot vomit either.  Bouts of food poisoning, stomach virus, etc., mean I spend hours with a waste basket, but spitting.  You get used to it after a while.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Most Active
Recent Topics