GERD and Sleeves

bytheriver
on 3/8/16 7:51 pm - Puerto Rico

will it last for ever? Zantac, Prilosec and the liquid stuff don't work, only Nexium and Acyphex works. Some days, I'm so frustrated with it that I questioned myself, what have I done to myself. Many times, have I awaken because I'm choking on my reflux, it is awful, it is scary. Do you know something I don't know about this?

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/9/16 11:54 am

Sometimes the OTC dont work...

My doc told me that most of them work best during 4-8 hours... then they just stop working... some people take them 2-3 times a day... But before you do that -call the doc and make an appointment... you may need stronger PPI..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

TeashaLorna
on 3/10/16 6:49 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

A few things that help mr with this. 

1. Do not lay down for at least two hours after eating
  2. eat lighter meals for supper
  3. weigh and measure and under eat your sleeve
  4. track your food for triggers including drinks. For me water enhancers are killers, power aid as is plain water. I put a slice of fruit in my water
  5. I take a pantoprezinol Ppi 

just what hat is helping me for today. Good luck. 

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Laura in Texas
on 3/10/16 7:17 am

Do not eat 3 hours before going to bed and raise the front of your bed a few inches. Ask your doctor for a new PPI. Acid reflux is nothing to play around with. It can lead to esophageal cancer.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

AmyB1012
on 4/19/16 7:24 pm

I will be 4 years out in November and still

am on Prilosec. I haven't found anything to work. Dr told me there was a chance it could be life long. He was right. I didn't want bypass at the time. Other then that have zero regrets. 

bbknox
on 9/3/16 1:26 pm - SC

I am having a problem to and I am 8 years out.  Mine has gotten worse since I started taking a supplement the dr ordered for another problem I have.  

I had a barium swallow the other day and the results were a large hiatal hernia with the fundus and a portion of the body of the stomach above the hemidiaphragm.  I received the results before I get to see the dr so I am not sure what is going to be done.  It may be something you want to ask your dr about.

Hugs. Rita        5 ft 4 inches tall.

bbknox
on 9/3/16 1:28 pm - SC

I am having a problem to and I am 8 years out.  Mine has gotten worse since I started taking a supplement the dr ordered for another problem I have.  

I had a barium swallow the other day and the results were a large hiatal hernia with the fundus and a portion of the body of the stomach above the hemidiaphragm.  I received the results before I get to see the dr so I am not sure what is going to be done.  It may be something you want to ask your dr about. 

I need to add that I am also having problems with being short of breath with exertion and eventual vomiting. 

bbknox
on 9/3/16 3:27 pm - SC

I need to add that I am also having problems with being short of breath with exertion and eventual vomiting. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/6/16 8:11 pm
Do you take a vitamin C suppliment?

I have had HUGE issues with vitamin C suppliments. I use to take 1000 mg and had terrible issues with heartburn. To the point that I was taking OTC prilosec 3 times a day, and eating a role of tums. When I stopped taking the C....it took a good week......but the heartburn started to go away.

I'm a few months out from stopping the C and the heartburn is almost completely gone.

I know this isn't an issue for everyone, but it goes to show you that something that could be "ok" for everyone else may cause you issues. A food log could be helpful....try an elimination diet -basically you go to almost nothing but protein shakes or something bland and start adding foods back in to try an figure out if something is setting you off.

Scott
asapgerard1984
on 10/7/16 11:08 am

i wish i never got sleeved my gerd is so terrible were im going to hopefully get revisided to rny... I get 4 hours sleep tops.  My doctor never talked about this before surgery im 2 years out and have been misserable good luck kiddo

Most Active
Recent Topics