Friends and their negative comments

naplesmom
on 10/30/12 7:53 am - FL

I am really new to all of this. I just got approved by my insurance and am trying to get the ball rolling. I have only told a few close friends, and of course my immediate family. I couldn't believe it when a really close friend of mine was only concerned about the excess skin I will have after all is said and done !!!   I thought my friend would be more supportive and encouraging, not negative. I am doing this for ME, for my health.....  Does anyone have any suggestion for negative comments that people may make and how I can deal with them?  I guess I just needed to vent......   Thanks for listening...   indecision

Amelia L.
on 11/3/12 10:15 pm
RNY on 08/20/12

Well, the one thing I keep reminding myself is that this is ALL about me and no one else.  Whether or not they support you it will be done and your new life will begin.  I was amazed by the support I received from friends and family but even more by people who didnt even know me from the OH site.  You have friends here that accept you today and pray for great things for your tomorrows.

Blessings!!  Amelia

April M.
on 12/18/12 6:06 pm - Clarksville, TN
RNY on 03/11/13
I would tell her that you don't expect to be a super model. You are doing this for your health. If she can't be supportive then you don't need her in your life. Life is too short to be brought down by negativity. You do what you need to do to get your health under control and concentrate on the positive people in your life. Best of luck.
(deactivated member)
on 12/29/12 9:47 pm - Lower Burrell, PA
I'm kinda going through the same thing. Me and my mom were supposed to have lap band but as I learned more I knew I needed something more she flip flopped between lap band to bypass back to lap band now she's telling me I can't have the sleeve. It's like she's trying to sabotage me do that she had greater success than me. I don't understand and if I said that to it would be a huge fight. She has her appointment in the 14th for the Dr I have the 21st. She's making me feel like **** and said if she had to wait till after I get my surgery she's not getting it done. How childish is that? Ugh I'm so frustrated, how would you ask handle that?
sissymm32
on 4/22/13 5:40 pm - Phil Campbell, AL

I would tell her she is a big girl and she can do or not do what ever she wanted to. I would do what I needed to do for me and I would not worry about what other people wanted, needed, or thought. I am two years out and I had a lot of people telling me not to have surgery, but it was the best thing for me and I would do it again in a min. I am not saying it was easy and I still struggle with some  things but I feel better I can move around better I can breath better. Point being my life is better. Do what you need to for you don't worry about anybody else. Don't let anybody make you feel like **** not even your mother. I hope everything goes well for you.

HW 286    SW 266     CW 180

juliew
on 10/28/13 6:19 pm - Stockton, CA

Negativity is one of the reasons I haven't really told anyone about wanting to have weight loss surgery. My mom knows (and she had the surgery as well so she's very supportive of me having it), but nobody else does. I know that when I tell my dad & step-mom I will get a lot of negative thoughts from them so I am planning on telling them as close to my surgery date as I can. That is when I will possibly tell everyone else too. I am not sure what anyone else in my life will say about me having it. I feel, like you do, that I am doing this for me. And everyone else who disagrees can suck it. lol

Wanting the DS! 

If you care enough for the result, you will almost always attain it. - William James

Most Active
Recent Topics