logging calories, carbs, etc..

trudy_2010
on 8/3/10 10:13 am - Round Rock, TX
How many of you keep a journal and log your calorie, carb, proteins?  I know that a lot of mindless eating went into my adult lifetime weight and health problems.  I am now eating and acting healthier than before.  I haven't made the jump to recording everything because I think of it as "a chore" and I don't like the thought of the amount of time it would take (yes, I know there are online tools that make it easier).  My question is, are there any others out there who just try to follow the basic guidelines (protein first, small portions, chew chew chew, no liquid w/ meals, etc) and feel like they are doing a good job with successful results?  I somehow feel guilty that I can't always tell you exactly how many calories I've consumed etc...

Jody ***
on 8/3/10 11:40 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
I logged on "Thedailyplate.com" religiously for about the first year.  That way I knew exactly what food consisted of and got a good idea of what I was eating (calorie/carb) wise. 

Now I take a look at my food and *think* I know what I'm eating, but know deep down inside I really should be posting so I know EXACTLY what I am and am not doing.  When I have  a really bad day, I do that and definitely know I need the "attitude adjustment".

That's just me - and since I'm in maintenance now, its important I understand what I'm eating, since I really don't have the restriction or the malabsorption I used to have...

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

MacMadame
on 8/3/10 1:05 pm - Northern, CA
I use the online journals. They are pretty easy and I don't stress over being exact and that makes it easier. I started doing it back when I first started to think about WLS and I just wanted to take inventory -- see exactly how I was eating against what I thought I was eating. I wasn't even trying to lose weight at that point.

After a while, it became a habit and now it's just a routine part of my day.

Later on, I read some studies that showed that people who log their food do better on average than people who don't in both weight loss and weight maintenance so that motivates me to do it when I don't feel like it.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Shannon D.
on 8/3/10 10:31 pm
I plan my menu the day before and enter everything online to see if I'm within my limits so I can adjust before I eat something. If it's not on the list, I don't put it in my mouth. I also measure or weigh everything to make sure my serving sizes are accurate. It's really easy to eat more calories or carbs than you think if you don't plan. It has become part of my day as well, I don't even think about it.

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

italianspice
on 8/3/10 10:51 pm - Eastlake, OH
I think just from what you said, it may be a good idea.
Journaling helps keep you  accountable and makes that mindless eating become  aware.
Roz still does her miles and menus and she is on maintenance.
I know when I get off of these liquids, I will be journaling my food intake.
I want to be sure I am getting enough protein and vitamins.
I didnt go through this to fail. I will do everything in my power to succeed.
Good luck to you.

Maria

lerkhart
on 8/3/10 10:55 pm
I have a hand held calorie counter that keeps up with Calories, Fat, Sodium, Fiber, Carbs and Protein.  I love it because it is always with me and very easy to use.  It has some restaurants in it, but since I don't eat out much anymore, I just enter my food into it.  It has a large memory so once you enter your food it is there for the next time.

I carried a paper log around with me for a long time and someone mentioned this on the RNY board and I got one and love it.  I could never get into logging my food on line.  It is the size of a cell phone and fits right in my purse so I have it everywhere I go.  I enter my food before I eat to make sure I don't need to adjust.  You can download to your computer and print out your day or other reports if you wanted to. 

I have a mental plan for the day in the morning and take my lunch to work so I'm sure about that.  Supper I usually have 2 options and see what I have left for my night time snack.

For me keep a log of some kind was really needed because I can get to the end of the day and not have a clue what I've done for the whole day.  It has really helped make me aware of what I am doing and I need the accountability.  I hope this is a habit I continue with because I feel lost if I don't do it.

Good Luck,
LInda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
sam1am
on 8/4/10 12:26 am
Hi Linda,

Would you be able to tell me the name of your handheld counter and where you got it?

I stopped logging when some computer sites were restricted at work and hit goal right around the same time.  I have been bouncing up 3-4 lbs since and think I should be logging again as my "intuitive eating" so far is not really working for me.  Somehow if I'm not marking it down, that handful of chips sneaks in there!

Thanks!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

lerkhart
on 8/4/10 12:57 am
Here is the website where I purchased it.  I got the Calorie Smart CS-100S.

http://coheso.com/

When first got it, I thought I probably had wasted more money, but I kept using it and entering my standard foods, vitamins, water into it so they are almost all in there now and I love it.
I actually put my vitamins, calcium and water in it everyday so I can look back at it and see when I took them and keep the calcium 2 hours apart.  I am so forgetful about times that unless it is written down I am clueless.

I know all about those sneaky chips!!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Lee ~
on 8/3/10 11:33 pm - CA
I plan my food and log it in Myfitnesspal.com.   I love that program because it has everything I search for.  I have it on my PC, lagtop, office computer and iPhone so I never have an excuse not to use it.  I find it really helpful to put everything in for the day so that I know I'll be within my guidelines.  I also enter my exercise there.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Mara C.
on 8/3/10 11:43 pm - Millbury, MA
I do at least 4-5 days a week on fitday.com.  I did it prior to surgery for the 6 months I was trying to loose before surgery.  It was helpful then to know how many calories I needed to consume a day to be able to drop weight (for me was 1500 per my NUT).  I kept my calories in that range and dropped 25 lbs.

NOW, it's important for me to keep track of my protein daily esp, and also calories and carbs since my weight loss is starting to slow down and my hunger has come back with a vengeance.  I was told by my Nut to keep my daily calories between 1000-1400 (for my height, exercise level etc), which I do most every day.  It helps me keep right on track since this is when I can loose the most weight.

It takes me 5 mins each morning, has become part of my day.  I do it at work, so b/c I am not on the pc on the weekends I usually skip it then.
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 489 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 508 views