REALLY???

IRAYD8U
on 5/18/11 2:44 am - MONTICELLO, MN
I saw my mother a few weeks ago and forgot to share this story.  Gina's post about non-compliance reminded me......

My mother was telling about how she really needs to take off some weight because her back is bothering her (lumbar fusion), her plantarfaciitis, and her knees.  My mother is 4'10" and about 220lbs.  She then proceeded to tell me about the new GP they have at the clinic in the small town she lives in.  She had been discussing options for WL and the GP told her "there is no magic pill, I had gastic bypass and it hasn't helped me".....My mom told me this GP is a faily large lady....I wanted to scream!!!  This GP is advising my mother that WLS doesn't work!!  WHAT AN IDIOT!!!  I told my mother that it works for people if they follow the plan, that it isn't a magic pill and you do have to make changes in your diet for life.  I told her I am able to enjoy all the foods I did when I was fat except now I pay attention to portions and don't let myself overdo it with ANYTHING.....and if I do I have learned to recognize that I need to stop....surgery is a lifestyle change that doesn't make fat people skinny forever, and most surgeries don't fail....the patient does.....It just really ****** me off that some "DR" is telling her this!  I am not at a stage in my WL journey where my mother will accept that I haven't "failed"....that is a few years away.....after I've maintained my WL for several years.....

Well mom had to go to the hopital this week with chest pain.  They monitored her for 2 days and all of her tests came back normal so they sent her to the cardiologist who ordered a stress test which she has on Friday.  She will be coming down for a week next week and she and I are going to have a chat!  I'm going to introduce her to obesity help and the LW forum and all of you!  I will show her my successful cohorts and convince her that WLS does WORK!!

Sorry for the rambling.........
                    HEATHER
               Join us on the Lightweights Board
 Ask me about our Facebook Chat Group: OH WLS-Lightweights
  36 years old
5'7"   HW 256 / SW 240 / CW 145 / GW 140
Stacey N.
on 5/18/11 2:56 am - Chesapeake, VA
Great to see you here Heather,
I was the same weight/height (gained an inch) just before I decided to have my WLS. That Dr needs to get her life in check! Anyone can make it work as long as they want it! Bring Mom on over, we would love to meet her

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

IRAYD8U
on 5/18/11 3:33 am - MONTICELLO, MN
Well Stacey I just looked at your pics and I think I'm way off on my moms weight.....she looks to me to be MUCH bigger than you were......we went clothes shopping and she needed a 22/24 pant to fit her waist......I think.....she quit trying things on when she hit 18/20 and 2xl tops......everything was huge everywhere else...I felt so bad for her!
                    HEATHER
  36 years old
Stacey N.
on 5/18/11 3:56 am - Chesapeake, VA
Let me clarify, When I started my journey, it was about a year before my surgery. I have a picture on my FB page that has me at my highest. I was wearing a 20/22 (stretchy) before I lost a bit of weight before I went in for my consultation. I was 208, when I weighed in for the beginning of the program. She may be a bit heavier than I was though.

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

Ruthie D.
on 5/18/11 3:25 am - Mayer, AZ
Grrrrrrrrrrr!   I'm only 3+ months out and even I know it's all about the willingness to be compliant! She could have such terrific rest of her life!!!  Thtupid Doctor!!  Bring her on the board Heather!  Maybe even have a group chat.  :-)   

P.S.  Just shy of two years is "several years" in *my* math book!!!  You are a success!!
       LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
IRAYD8U
on 5/18/11 3:28 am - MONTICELLO, MN
LOL...Thanks Ruthie......but in Mom's eyes I'll have to be about 7 years post op for her to believe that WLS does work for the long term......LOL

HEATHER
  36 years old
Ruthie D.
on 5/18/11 3:58 am - Mayer, AZ
Well, we have exactly about sebenty eleben LW's here that would be happy to try and show her she needs to put on a new pair of glasses.   ;-)

rofl!

And, by the way, if she was two years post op and maintaining would she appreciate anybody else thinking she had not succeeded yet?  The shoe on the other foot scenario might help her to re-think it too. 

or not...  lol  
lerkhart
on 5/18/11 3:39 am
Hi Heather,
I hope your mom can find a way to get healthier.  I don't think GP(or PCP)'s have the knowledge regarding WLS that they need to have.  I do not know why so many of them are against this.  I'm hoping that my PCP is coming over to my side on this and will see it as a valuable service for some of her obese patients that need this kind of help.

Just feeling better and being able to do more was worth it to me.  I'd be happy to talk with her if she wanted to talk with someone older that had the surgery(I'm 56).

What did you decide about your job??  Did I miss that post??

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Ruthie D.
on 5/18/11 3:54 am - Mayer, AZ
Now, wait a minute...*I'm* 56, Linda....  ACK!!!!   I'm in the "OLDER" group?!?!?!?!!

How and WHEN did this happen???

lerkhart
on 5/18/11 7:35 am
LOL - Sorry Ruthie - I meant older than Heather!!  I don't feel old either!!!
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views