New to LW

mymaluv
on 9/12/11 2:52 pm
Hi  I am  new to this fourm.  I have not had my Surgery yet. I hope I will have a date for it soon.  How quickly does a LW tend to lose weight. Are there any special things that I need before or after the big day.  Howv long does the liquid diet phase last. Are there any good books to read about WLS or how to cook after it.  How long does the dumping syn last. Any advice would be helpful.
KimiT
on 9/12/11 5:21 pm
Hi!  I'm new to the forum and a surgery hopeful too, so I won't be able to answer your questions much, but I just wanted to say welcome!  I bet if you scroll through the board you could find a bit of information you are looking for.
~Kim, exhausted working momma of 3.  K (8), J1 (5), J2 (3)

CW 213.4, CW211, GW 130, height 5'5"
I was a VSG hopeful, but insurance says it's "experimental" and am now doing RNY
Consult on 9-2-11, letter to be submitted on 12-2-11, praying for surgery December 2011
MajorMom
on 9/12/11 7:41 pm - VA
Welcome aboard!

Don't belive the folks that say we LWs all lose slower...we have less pounds to lose, that's all. We still can lose fast and make it to goal in less than a year. (Not everybody loses at the same rate, even among LWs, there is a range from fast to slow)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Caitlyn_Cat
on 9/12/11 9:23 pm
The liquid phase of the pre-op diet can last from a day to several weeks, it's all very surgeon dependent. There are tons of great sites on the web for bariatric cooking, many free and some with membership dues. One that I like is 'The World According to Eggface." http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ Dumping syndrome is more common in some of the surgeries (RNY) and less so in others (VSG). OH has entire pages to describe the various surgeries and what to expect. Go to the home page for OH and follow the links on the top information bar.

Good luck. OH is a great resource.

~~Dee

Height: 5'5" / HW: 223 / SW: 196 / GW: 125 reached 12/22/2011 / CW: 121    
lerkhart
on 9/13/11 12:38 am
Welcome to the LW Board.

What type of surgery are you having?  Different surgeons have different rules.  I would try and follow my surgeons rules before and after surgery as much as you can.

I read Weight Loss surgery for Dummies and several others.  I loved getting recipes.  Someone mentioned The World According to EggFace.  There is a recipe forum on here also that has some great ideas.

Not everyone has the dumping with RNY.  I have a very high tolerence for carbs and sugar.  Sometimes I wi**** was lower!!

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted about your progress.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
AnneGG
on 9/13/11 1:51 am
I lost 100 lbs in 9 months, and am now maintaining. The length of time for the liquid diet varies with the dr. Dumping varies with the person in terms of how long and how severe.

I second the suggestion for the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies". It is a bit outdated, but the best available in terms of what to expect and how to prepare for surgery.

Good luck and perseverance with your process!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Eliza55
on 9/13/11 4:06 am - PA

One recommendation for you is remember that each individual is different, and will lose weight at slightly different rates.  Most lightweights lose the percentage of excess weight at the same rate as others, it's just that there is less excess weight, so pounds are lost more slowly.

Dumping is very individual.  I had an RNY, and don't dump at all, but I did develop other food intolerances.  Have an indepth talk with your surgeon and nutritionist before you have surgery, and you'll have a better idea of what to expect.

It's a long journey - best of luck

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

glzgowlass
on 9/13/11 7:19 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Welcome.  I'm new too.  You've come to the right place.  This is a very nice board.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

mymaluv
on 9/13/11 11:03 am
Thanks for all the tips/advice.  I am having RNY. I see the  nutritionist tomorrow .  Its a 2 hour group class that I have to do, then I get to make my appointment with my Dr.  I am going with Dr Lin in Atlanta GA.  Does anyone measure theIr food after the surgey.  How many meal does everyone eat in a day.  Do you plan your meals out or go for what u know .  Does any one use those portion control dishes. 
paranoidmother21
on 9/14/11 1:47 am - Lake Zurich, IL
You'll enjoy it here.

How many meals is, like so many other things, surgeon dependent, and then patient dependent.

My surgeon wants 3 meals and 1 or 2 shakes per day.  Because of how my body responded to the surgery, I was on 4 meals and 3 shakes for a long time.  I'm only just now getting down to 3 meals and 3 shakes, then to drop to 3 meals and 2 shakes if I can do it.  You'll just have to work with your surgeon's office.

As far as measuring, yeah, at 21 months I still measure everything I eat or pack at home.  Otherwise it's too easy for me to take that one bite too many as my only warning tends to be regurgitation.

I don't use specific portion control dishes, but do tend to use smaller dishes.  If I use a giant dinner plate, even with measuring, I tend to put too much food on initially and have to remove part.  If I start with a luncheon plate I do much better.

Early out I put a lot of my meals in 4-6 oz ramekins.  They were the right size for my amounts, easy to microwave, and easy to carry around in my coolers.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views