Is five weeks after wls too soon to travel?

Alligator
on 10/26/15 5:25 pm

please help with some input. I'm scheduled for surgery on dec 14. I have a chance to go on a cruise at the end of Jan., five weeks after surgery. Do you think I will be well enough? I hate to spend the money and be too sick or sore to do anything ?. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Price S.
on 10/26/15 6:10 pm - Mills River, NC

I volunteered at the World Equestrian Games 6 weeks after surgery. I was able to work each day but slept about 10 hrs each night and certainly wasn't able to do anything other than sleep and do my volunteer job. I handled food ok, was on soft food so I took yogurt, protein pudding, soup with me and had a hotel room with a microwave. I was 61 so maybe healed a little slower but I had NO complications and accepted every food phase just fine.

good luck making the decision. It is hard to know exactly how you will do.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 10/27/15 10:28 am - Butler, PA

Congrats on your upcoming WLS!!!

We love to cruise!!! Even with 5 grandkids I find them to be really relaxing. Most people are back to work within a month so I think you will be fine on a cruise. The day of check in might be a bit tiring but that's understandable even for those of us further out. We only go on Disney Cruises but I'm sure the food selection on the other cruises can be workable also. I drink a lot of Protein drinks and so far we've had wonderful Porters who kept my ice bucket in our room full for me. The host/hostess's in the restaurants are really good about preparing my foods without a lot of spices and toppings. Just explain that you are on a special diet. I've found that my pouch likes eating from the kids menu. The food is plainer.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Roz !!!!
on 10/27/15 10:29 am - Butler, PA

If you would put your expected type of surgery and date in your signature or where you list your surgeons name that would be really helpful!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

docbad32
on 10/27/15 1:38 pm

The two biggest issues, I would think, would be the food you'll need to eat and the rest you'll need to get. At five weeks I was just starting real food but still had to take it slow and had to experiment with what I could and could not get down. On a decent cruise there will probably be enough variety that you should be able to find something. May want to bring protein shakes with you. The bigger issue for me was being tired. I started playing golf again at 5 weeks and could barely finish a round. It would wipe me out for a few days. But, if you take it easy and listen to your body, you should be ok.

VSG:  3/12/15

iloveravens
on 10/27/15 7:54 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

I was in Aruba 5 weeks post op (and I had complications which resulted in a longer recovery). I'd think a cruise would be fun and a perfect place to relax and recover. Disney, OTOH, I could never have done. Good luck!

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

LisaKelley
on 10/30/15 6:26 pm

after my post op appointment, my dr told me i could travel.

I spent 9 days in florida recuperating

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGoSSrA/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGoSSrA/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 299 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 424 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 485 views