No liquid phase for my surgery -- ??

Bevangelista
on 1/2/10 1:12 pm
Hi all!  My RNY is scheduled for 1/19 -- can't wait!  So ready to do this :-)

Several of you have mentioned being on liquids/protein shakes for a week or more before surgery.  My surgeon doesn't do this; I think it's liquid only with some nasty "clean out your system" medication the day before surgery.  Just wondering what the benefit and purpose is of the long-term liquid diet before surgery?  How long have you been advised to do liquid protein only?

Thanks!
Barbara
LessLisa
on 1/3/10 12:11 am - Jefferson, OH
I am scheduled for surgery this Thursday, the 7th and I started my liquid diet on the 1st.  I do protein shakes and liquids (water, decaf tea, SF popcicles, SF jello, Crystal Lite) for 4 days and then on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, I do just liquids (same as above minus the protein shakes).  From what I have read, it is a type of bowel prep, and also the more weight you can lose before the surgery, the better.  The liquid diet shrinks the size of your liver (which is in front of your stomach) making access during surgery easier, along with helping to lose weight quickly (I have lost about 7 lbs. and this is only my 3rd day).

Good luck on your surgery!!!
~Lisa   276 / 167 / 170 (start / current / goal)
Website - LessLisa

pamy1129
on 1/3/10 10:58 am - hawkesbury , Canada
i am only on liquid diet , apple juice, water , gingerale , and broth (clear) 
but im on it only 72 hrs pre op  it's to reduce you liver size so it won't be knicked with the instruments on surgery day ......so starting tomorrow liquid diet it is thats gonna be fun... but i know its all gonna be worth it in the end.....

Celia S.
on 1/4/10 7:01 am - Clarks Summit, PA
I am having surgery on the 11th. I don't have to do a liquid diet either, but my surgeon did recommend the atkins diet to help lose some weight before surgery. I decided to do a liquid diet (more effect to take off weight) and also helps shrink the liver. I started 2 weeks before surgery and it also gets you prepared for the 2 weeks after surgery.
LaRuse
on 1/4/10 11:22 pm - Richmond, VA
My RNY surgery is 1/14, and my surgeon requires a "liver shrinking diet" which is a high protein meal replacement for breakfast, one with lunch (and a piece of fruit), a low fat high calcium snack (yogurt or cottage cheese), and dinner should be 4 oz. of lean meat and 1 cup of a non-starchy vegetable, or 2 oz of meat, the veggies, and a shake. 

I started my diet on the 1st and the first day was kind of brutal, but now I have adapted and it is getting easier.  I have no bowel prep to do the night before the surgery. 

I wish you all the best with your surgery!
Bevangelista
on 1/4/10 11:28 pm
Thank you all for the info!  It sounds like a very good idea to do this diet for the week before surgery, especially after all the indulgences of the holidays.  I have an appt with the surgeon on 1/8 so I will confirm that he's OK with this plan.  LaRuse, thanks for the diet specifics -- that plan sounds more feasible for me than liquid only for a week.

Good luck everyone! 

Barbara

Doesn't include 8 lbs lost pre-surgery        
Most Active
Recent Topics