Confusion about OHIP approvals

Aprilfool1962
on 1/7/10 10:13 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/06/10 with
 Hi, I am a newbie here and I was just wondering if anyone knows the new rules surrounding OOC surgery and the chances of getting OHIP approval.  I live in Ottawa, ON and this city is doing surgery, but only about 4 per week.  My Dr. has submitted my paperwork on Monday for Utica NY, but I know of someone at the Ottawa hospital (Civic campus) that has told me that the ONLY surgery I can get will have to be done in Ontario (as per new rules).  Any one know if this is true?  I do have a consult with them also (Dr. Dent)...doubling my chances I hope - but my consult date is only for the end of April.  The Dr. that I have in Ottawa is a bariatric Dr. and I have seen him for a year with only mild results.  The program that he offers is wonderful and many people have had great results with the combination of diet and exercise, but unfortunately I was not one of them. He suggested surgery as he feels that I would be an excellent candidate.  I feel like I should have listened to him last year when he suggested it, surgery seems so extreme to me and I decided to go it on my own and see what I could achieve.  I have a trainer that come to my home once or twice a week, I started Tai Chi and I TRY to eat right by following the GI diet plan.  I have only lost about 12 pounds by doing this and even some of those pounds (4-5) fluctuate from time to time.  Needless to say that Xmas was one of those times.  Recently (after many discussions with co-workers who have had RNY and my boyfriend), I decided to pursue the surgery.  Even though I am enjoying my new lifestyle, I know that I need to shed these pounds to get a real shot at long term success.  I know have dreams of being able to wear high heels and long boots.  I want to travel and have more stamina.  I want to shop in regular stores.  I want to live a long and healthy life and enjoy my grandkids.  I have had a few people tell me recently that it will be difficult to get OOC approval as even though my BMI is about 52 (I think), I do not have any medical issues (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.)  Anyway, I know that I am all over the place here...but this is all so overwhelming!  Thanks for letting me vent.

Aprilfool1962

Most Active
Recent Topics