Greenfield Filter - Has anyone had this?

marie M.
on 1/11/10 11:14 pm - SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ
My doctor is requiring I go for a greenfield filter before surgery to prevent a blood clot.  I do not have clots or anything says precaussion.  Anyone else do this, what is it like?  Its scheduled for 3 days before surgery.  Will I be okay after this procedure to enjoy that last weekend or should I have everything done before then.  Any advise would be great.
Sincerely,  Marie                
zanne2324
on 1/12/10 2:11 am - West Bend, WI
As always, check with your doctor if you are concerned. That being said here is what I found on Web MD. (a pretty reliable site). My doc will use medication for me, but here is why they say a filter may be used instead..:

"Some people should not take anticoagulant medication. They include people who have had bleeding in the brain (a type of stroke), recent brain surgery, or bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract. People who also have very high blood pressure or those involved in recent trauma or any recent surgery are not candidates for thrombolytic therapy.
  • If you are one of these people, your health care provider may instead recommend placement of a filter in your inferior vena cava, the main vein returning to the heart.

• This prevents clots in the lower body from traveling to the heart and lungs, where they can do more damage."
I hope the information helps..

Suzanne
 HW - 383/ SW - 376/ CW - 259/ GW - 199

marie M.
on 1/13/10 12:58 pm - SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ
Thanks Suzanne,I have high blood pressure so maybe that is why. Was just wondering because I never see anyone mentioning it on thier pages.
Most Active
Recent Topics