What are you drinking?

Lilly M.
on 1/24/10 1:30 pm
I am recovering from my RNY on Jan. 15th and doing well.  I've been instructed to drink Carnation Instant Breakfast (lactose free) for two weeks prior to starting a soft food diet, and have been faithfully following these instructions, but I can't help but wonder.....is this the best nutritional supplement out there or is it simply the company that Kaiser has a contract with?

I'm interested in hearing what other supplements are out there and how you like them....

Lilly M.   

Highest Weight-370  Surgery Weight-320

Missy N.
on 1/24/10 6:00 pm - Kalkaska
Lily,
  I am not on any suppliments yet. Not until Wednesday.  I am on all liquids the first week (suger-free popciles, SF jello, and SF juices, or diluted regular juice), and then on mushy things starting Wednesday. I am only 5 days out, and every doctor is different.

Missy       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
HW 260 SW 249 (1/20/10)  CW 134
1st GW 150 (reached 8/29/10) 
2nd GW 135 (reached 12/1/10)
I really don't have another goal weight. :)

ernursen2006
on 1/25/10 12:02 am
 Ya I agree every Dr is different! I was wondering why everyone on the boards are drinking Protein shakes and I am not! My Dr said they are not necessary that your body has enough stored for a week. Now I am on soft foods.....refried beans, tofu, yogurt, mashed potatoes, soups, etc. so I get some protein in there but do I need more??? The nutritionist I went to at my Dr office specializes in bariatrics and had the surgery herself about 5 yrs ago. Good luck! I also had mine on 1/15/10!!! I was able to start soft foods when I went to my 1st post op 5 days post op!!!

Lilly M.
on 1/25/10 12:37 am
Wow, same surgery date and you're already eating real food.  I'm jealous!  I'm still on the liquid diet.  My doc said for the first two weeks I can have Carnation Instant Breakfast, broth, cream soups and SF jello, juice or popsicles.  At 2 weeks I'll get to start eating real food...I'm both looking forward to it and a little nervous.  Were there any foods that simply did not work for you?

My nutritionist says you should be able to get most, if not all, your protein from food, but there are many schools of thought out there - and many people making money selling protein drinks as well. 
I guess I'd rather err on the side of eating too much protein than not eating enough, especially when I read about the complications of the surgery that some people have experienced on the message boards like hair loss, etc..

It sounds as if you are doing well!
 Lilly M.   

krizzti
on 1/25/10 1:54 am - Lakeville, MN
My doc hasn't suggested protein shakes, either.  I asked his dietician about it when I was fresh out of surgery... She didn't say "YES YOU NEED THEM!" or "STAY AWAY FROM THEM!"  She said I could take them (when the time comes... I'm still on liquids) but as I get more nutrition from real food, it's better to rely on that than on the shakes.

So how's that for no suggestion one way or the other?  :0)

I'm glad you're doing well, and I envy you and your Carnation Instant Breakfast!
zanne2324
on 1/25/10 12:00 pm - West Bend, WI
Each is different. My program has me avoid protien shakes.. most.. because they are too high in calories and sugar.. .I will start with real food... starting with pureed protien for two weeks and then moving up to soft foods then solids... I will suppliment with fortified milk for "snacks" but the emphasis is on real food since that is what I will need to face..

But follow what your doctor says....

I should have at least two meals of real food in the hospital.. well if you call 1/4 cup of  pureed chicken real food..

Good luck to all.
 HW - 383/ SW - 376/ CW - 259/ GW - 199

Lilly M.
on 1/25/10 1:16 pm
Good luck to you~
 Lilly M.   

ernursen2006
on 1/26/10 8:54 am
 Well my "food" that I am eating is all soft.....refried beans tend to be the best for me. I tried a PB and Banana and plain yogurt smoothie last night and had very bad abd pain.....wont be doing that again!!!! I love that I got to move past the 1st phase because for me it was only jello, water and broth. I couldn't stay on that longer than my one week!!! Hope you are doing well!!!

Lilly M.
on 1/26/10 10:00 am
I just saw the surgeon today and was given the go ahead to eat real food   I just had some refried beans and they tasted delicious. I wonder why the smoothie didn't work for you? Did you keep it to about 1/4 cup?
 Lilly M.   

krizzti
on 1/27/10 1:43 am - Lakeville, MN
I'm at the only jello, water and broth stage and am very anxious to move on!  I ate lots of SF Jello just before surgery and loved it.  I can not put that stuff in my mouth now, so it's water and broth for me.  Oh, and SF popcicles. 
Most Active
Recent Topics