Pureed Foods and Food Processor

krizzti
on 1/27/10 11:08 pm - Lakeville, MN

Tomorrow's doctor's appointment should result in unleashing me to Phase 2: Pureed Food!  Yay!

I have never eaten anything pureed (at least not that I'm aware of.)

Do we simply cut meat into small portions and toss it in the food processor?  Could I do a chicken salad and add just a little lite mayo? 
How about fish?  Just toss that in, too?

Any recipes, suggestions, etc. greatly appreciated!

Oh!  And... I don't own a food processor, so I browsed online.  Macy's has a "Cuisinart DLC-2A Mini Prep Plus Food Processor" that is small enough (holds 3 cups) to keep out on counter.  The reviews were very positive.  I believe it was a little over $60 there.  I checked Amazon - they have it for $39.71, and it qualifies for Free Shipping! 

Nichole34
on 1/28/10 7:10 am - oakland, MD
I start my pureed stage on Monday and I purchased the magic bullet to use.  I have been thinking all week of what I will be able to eat on the pureed stage and I don't meet with the doc or nutritionist until Wednesday.  Every doctor lets you have different things on different stages.  I also check out theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and ther is alot of recipes on there for every stage.  Please pass on any ideas that you may get from people.  My family had chicken tonight and it smelled so good that I think my mouth was watering.  Do you have any trouble getting you fluids in?
liz52408
on 1/30/10 5:05 am
I start pureed on tuesday- 8 days after surgery.  I have the magic bullet and it is great for blending smoothies.  Also I was told to cut meat up fine and add some liquid to it as well, I was told I could do scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, tuna w/ light or FF mayo- really anything that I dont have to chew.  Good Luck!

WannaBFit71
on 1/30/10 9:40 am - A smalltown in, OH
Congrats to you guys on being post-op...I hope to be there in a few months, too. (God willing!)

I have it in my head that I'm gonna want pureéd chicken with a little bbq sauce in it (with some warm water, too, so it's not dry)...and I think the same about an occassional lean cut of beef (steak) with a little steak sauce pureéd up in there with it?

I will ask my NUT when I get in to see her for our consult, but I was wondering what you guys thought of it.

Also, I know it's very import to avoid fats, high calories, and such....but I wonder if we can't stand the taste of low fat or ff mayo...if we only use mayo sparingly, is that ever okay?

Hope to hear from you guys...

Julie

~Julie~  (H350/S349/C314/G195)

zanne2324
on 2/2/10 2:06 am - West Bend, WI
My program has me start on pureed food after leak test... well for dinner. Protein only but using Light mayo or broth to make things juicy.

I found the greek yogurt and was mixing with light regular flavor yogurts for a boost in protein but more flavor. Cottage cheese with season salt, Dad made a turkey so I have had pureed turkey with broth..to blend but ate it with FF gravy. I don't like poultry much but it was good for a while. I wanted the extra protein that meat gives so I did one ounce of pureed meat and worked up to one ounce of yougurt blend.  To day I am adding supplimented milk so that will help.

I found white albacore tuna with light mayo was quite good. I want to try a soft boiled egg for lunch as pureed scrambled eggs weren't that great but I don't like much in my egg except veggies and cheese neither of which work right now.

I may try hard boiled egg and mayo pureed. That would be simple egg salad.. I was told not to do beef or pork yet. once I'm up a stage or so, but that can be harder to digest and therefore not worth all the trouble to cook and puree right now.

I was having trouble with the water and found that broth went down easier and I could get more in without forcing the timer etc. When trying to drink by the timer I was drinking in too much air and had to keep stopping from the gas pains. The would burp a lot... Sipping warm broth is just normal so it worked better.

I was surprised on how much I prefer plain water to flavored. I thought for sure I would need crystal light type stuff just to get it down. But it appears that is harder to get down now than plain water.

HW - 383/ SW - 376/ CW - 259/ GW - 199

zanne2324
on 2/2/10 2:11 am - West Bend, WI
A simple hand submersable mixer purees fine like the Braun. might be more versitle than a food processor. Since puree's only last a short time. I have also seen a food processor at Walmart which holds about a cup for $10.00 that might be a better buy but look around. I did find that to puree 2-3 ounces at a minimum worked better than trying to do less, then store in fridge..

Hope that helps.
IGDiva
on 2/4/10 11:09 pm - Orlando, FL
They have a 1.5 cup size processor at Walgreens or Winne-Dixie for $9.99.  I know I am coming into this topic late but I just wanted to share in case others need to get something.
Lisa
HW 380/SW303/CW203  
Most Active
Recent Topics