PRE-Surgical Liquid Diet--how are you feeling?

trafficdonna
on 3/26/07 1:16 am
HI there, My surgery date is April 17th and I started the pre-surgical liquid diet last Friday. I am having 3-4 protein shakes a day and I did add some egg drop soup two days over the weekend. I am drinking my 8 pints of water a day. The problem is the fatigue. I am SO exhausted. It tires me to just sit in my office chair. I spent all day yesterday lying on the couch. Is anyone else experiencing this? I am getting over 90 grams of protein a day from the shakes and skim milk. Also, my joints are hurting big time! Please let me know if this is unusual or if this is what I am supposed to go through.
renee25
on 3/26/07 1:55 am - Paw Paw, MI
I don't know about anyone else but I am currently experiencing the same things. I have been on the liquid diet for a week (surgery date Apr 3) and spent the entire weekend laying down. The only thing I can say is to "keep your eye on the prize". That's what I keep telling myself. My calves hurt on the outsides and I have been getting headaches almost daily. I know that I can do it and I know that you can too. Just think how much better we are going to feel and how happy we will be!!! :0) Good luck to you and God Bless.
trafficdonna
on 3/26/07 4:36 am
It is good to know that I am not experiencing something unusual. Since I am going out of the country for the surgery, my only support and advice comes from this site. Thank you for sharing and good luck on April 3rd.
Cinnabirst1
on 3/26/07 2:55 am - Council Bluffs, IA
I just started my liquid diet this morning. Are you just on the protein shakes or can you have like creamed soups and such? My surgery is April 4th. What kind of protein shakes are you doing? Im having trouble getting enough protein with just liquids. Thanks, Cindy
trafficdonna
on 3/26/07 4:39 am
I bought protein powder at Walmart. I think it is called Body Fortress. It has 23 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar per scoop. I got the chocolate and mix it with skim milk. I went back for more and could not find it so I will have to check another Walmart. I would like to find some unflavored to add to chicken boullion or even to Crystal Light. They did have a fruit punch flavor but sugar was much higher.
Amber N.
on 3/26/07 4:15 am - New Haven, OH
Why are you having do the liquid diet for so long? Starting last Friday w/ a date of April 17... that is over 3 weeks!
trafficdonna
on 3/26/07 4:48 am
My BMI is 51 so it is very high. Dr. Kriplani said 2-3 weeks. Since I had gained three pounds in the last few weeks, I decided to try going over three weeks. I need to get weight down at least 13 pounds (10% of excess weight) and I think this will prepare me for the post-surgery because I will be so used to having nothing but liquids. I know it is extreme but it making the decision for the surgery was extreme as well. I will let myself have some soups occasionally but I am trying to stay under 800 calories and a full 90 grams of protein each day. Thank you for your concern!
Amber N.
on 3/26/07 7:19 am - New Haven, OH
You go girl!
Dee S.
on 3/26/07 12:25 pm
my surgeon is requiring four weeks of the preop diet..is that not normal?
K A.
on 3/26/07 4:29 am
my liquids started Sat. for an April 2nd date...it's pure hell! I've had a headache since I started...and I have to pee very 20 minutes..but, I know it's worth it in the end! Sugar free popcicles are my friend. -it's all about your IBM as to when liquids start
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years ago today......
shar S. · 3 replies · 918 views
Well 6 years where have they gone?
Jody U. · 0 replies · 916 views
Ugh Revision
InkedNPierced · 0 replies · 1026 views
Hello strangers
CrystalH · 0 replies · 985 views
Hello Again
deelight152 · 2 replies · 1131 views