Sister has stage 3 breast cancer

Lisa A.
on 5/20/09 1:10 pm
I got the call this morning and my sister said bad news I have breast cancer and I was just in shock and all I could say is I am so sorry. She has had regular mamography and last one was 1 year 3 mos ago and they  saw nothing and she discovered a small soft not hard lump on her left breast and was painful  to touch and also noticed her lymph nodes were swollen,sure enough Cancer was found in her left breast and few lymph nodes Kaiser docs told her most likely not signs of cancer but guess what it was. She found it. My confidence in mamograms is shaken due to fact that my aunt and now sister was not deteted via mamogram Both were soft and painful. My aunt had a mamogram 3 mos prior to her discovering a pea size soft mass and it grew to size of softball and she died 3 mos later of rapid moving breast cancer
I am just 3 weeks post BA. My sister is 56 and I am 50. Before I had BA I had a digitial mamagram and a ultra sound and halo test and I had informed my doc that I had a aunt that died of fast moving breast cancer at 56 Question is screening for breast cancer post BA? I was told that with BA breast cancer is harder to find. but does not increase your chance of breast cancer I sure hope not. I will be letting my docs know of the current events but is their anything more I can be doing then just a ticking time bomb for cancer undectiable via mamograms??
my sister cancer is stage 3    and the couse of treatment TBD but they feel she will need surgery and chemo but not sure which one first, She will be going in for a full ct scan to see if it has spead any further than her lymph nodes, Hard to beleive a mamogram did not pick up the cancer she did not have a digitial mamogram but I have. Hard to beleive a very tiny spot that was the size of a baby asprin has already traveled to her lumph nodes. I wonder do I need to be screen every 6 mos? Question will be asked to my docs, I am freaking out big time and so scared for my sister. Any advice or words or wisdom regarding breast cancer would help.
Lisa
Update they will mostly likely order me a mri 6 weeks post BA

deelight152
on 5/21/09 1:35 pm - Down South, IL
Lisa
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I don't know what I would do if I learned my sisiter had cancer. I am sorry I have missed your call today was my kids last day of school and it has been hectic getting ready for a dumb yard sale my sister is forcing me into. I have no words of wisdom but just that I am thinking of you and your family.
dee
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/09 10:04 pm
PamT
on 5/22/09 10:40 pm - Downey, CA
I'm so sorry Lisa.

Knowing your sibling is facing such serious medical problems is so frightening. Does she live close to you? Does she have immediate family with her to help, offer suggestions, comfort & encourage her?

I recently faced a similar situation with my older brother. He was diagnosed with cancer of the mouth. Upon informing me, we both went crazy on the internet, looking up everything we could find on his cancer, and shared our information. It made us feel we were doing something constructive and gave us logical questions to ask the doctor at his appointments.

My thoughts & prayers will be with you & your sister....

PamT
Lisa A.
on 5/24/09 2:38 am

Pam my sister lives 2 1/2 hours away and I do see her like 12 x a year and talk 2 to 3 times a week on  the phone,
I bet u r going threw hard times with your brother how is treatments going? and what is the prognosis ? It can be so hard having a sibbling deal with life altering events. It just brings are mortality more into focus.I am so sorry your are going threw this also, I will keep u and my brother in my prayers also.
We know so far that she will be undergoing aggressive chemotherpy that is the harshest of all of chemos therpy and will take her to closest to death as possible w/o hopefully not killing her to give her a chance of beating this cancer, My sister is strong and I told her you know you won the Mega lottery of 365 million  so you will be just as lucky. U r so good about beating the odds. She has always had luck on her side. I said u r were always the lucky one and I told her u still are gonna be the lucky one. I told her if I can lose over 135 lbs you can beat the odds of beating this cancer, your odd are better u can beat this cancer than it was for me to lose  this weight, I said u always achieved what u set your mind out to do..  She said u know what I am gonna go train and work up a appitite as i got a feeling I am gonna need to  keep on to this weight for storage later. My sister is so strong and if anyone can beat this cancer it will be her.
Lisa

RhondaT
on 5/23/09 12:00 am - Conway, AR
Lisa,
I just wanted you to know I am thinking about you and your family. My Mother had breast cancer and also my best friend. I have a team that walks every year in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and I am very active in the Arkansas chapter. I will keep your family on my prayer list and just know we are here for you. Hugs~

Lisa A.
on 5/23/09 2:38 pm, edited 5/24/09 12:37 am
Thanks everyone I am pretty much in shock and also they updated to stage 4 as they found it in her liver. I am just sick and I am not wanting to stay at home I am shopping to keep my mind off this, I am  emotionally not in a good place, My hubby is still in alaska he was suppose to be home today but was turned around on his way to the airport He should be home monday, I just wanted him to be home with me, I am so sick to my stomach in knots and  can not keep food down, I am vomiting everything up. so I am trying to be on liquids, I was also told by my doc that my odds went up from 24%  chance of  getting breast cancer  to 80% while the avg population is 12% of developing cancer. I hope losing this weight has helped me lower my risks of developing cancer. Her cancer is fast aggressive type of cancer, My sister was the  type that eat healthy watched her weight exercised etc, Infact she was training for a marathon and I told her u just did not know what kinda marathon u were actually training for. She looks heathy feels great and yet has stage 4 breast cancer, I posted a pic of my sis in we just took in april She is the one in pink top
once again ty for kind words and prayers. My aunt died of same type of aggressive cancer and was gone in 4 mos.
Lisa

Cinnabirst1
on 5/24/09 12:52 am - Council Bluffs, IA
Lisa,
I dont know what to say other than we love you and we are all here for you.
I will keep you and your sister in my prayers. If there is anything I can do please let me know.
Cindy
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years ago today......
shar S. · 3 replies · 914 views
Well 6 years where have they gone?
Jody U. · 0 replies · 912 views
Ugh Revision
InkedNPierced · 0 replies · 1017 views
Hello strangers
CrystalH · 0 replies · 981 views
Hello Again