Am I the only one??? (slow loser!!!)

prettygreen13
on 2/23/04 10:04 pm - Houston, TX
First of all I just want to congraulate everyone on their great accomplishments ..... Now to my question. Am I the only slow loser on this board??? Don't get me wrong I am very thankful that I got the chance to have this surgery and thankful for the weight I have lost, but WHAT! am I doing wrong??? I had my surgery 5/19/03 started at (5'8") 282lbs. and now after 9 months I am at 225-228lbs (keep fluctuating)ONLY -55-57LBS. I started in a 22(tight) and now wear a 16 (sorta-tight) which is great, but I want to get down to a size 9/10. I know I cheated myself in the first 6 months by not consistantly getting in water and protein, by eating sweets more than I should have and very rarely exercising, but I kicked the sweets habit (not completely, but drastically reduced) for the last 3 months I have been doing my water and protein and I have been exercising for the last month so why have I have stayed between 225-228lbs. for about 6 or 7 weeks now!! What is the deal??!! and no my clothes don't feel looser either!! This is driving me Please guys tell me what your secret is ??? I need !!!
Shae B.
on 2/24/04 5:05 am - Houston, TX
well, i hate to say this, but after reading your post i don't feel so bad. i too thought i was a slow loser having my surgery on 5/21 starting at 5'3" 273 lbs. and now also being out 9 months and weighing in at 184/185 lbs. but i've always been a slow loser even before the surgery. the only thing i can say is take it in stride and be happy that you were able to have the surgery (without any complications i hope) and that you're losing slow enough that your skin has time to catch up and you won't have to have another surgery a.k.a. tummy tuck, etc.... 'cause i don't know about you, but i'm not having another surgery (providing the lord says the same). the one was enough for me and He let me make it to the other side without 1, i mean not a single complication so i feel i am truly blessed. so keep up the good work. up your protein/water intake, cut back on those carbs, try to a little something every 2-3 hours (5-6 small meals a day to keep that metabolism burning), and exercise, exercise, exercise. that's what i try to do and i know eventually the weight will come off. hope this helps and congrats and good luck. p.s. if you can, try not to eat anything after 7pm. that helped me alot. and if you do get hungry, try a sugar free popcicle. they really fool your pouch.
Joyce S.
on 2/26/04 11:54 am - SOUTH BEND, IN
In the first several months I was frustrated thinking I was not seeing the weight loss fast enough but I relaxed about the speed and just let it happen. I started with a BMI of 45.3 and now I am down to a BMI of 32.0. In other words I started at 232 pounds and am now down to 164 pounds. I have decided the slower rate gives the skin a chance to adjust. I do not plan on surgery for that even though I am a senior and know that at my age the elasticity is not as great as for a younger person. For the past several months I drop a pound a week and I am not really trying, it just happens. I was told that 70 pounds in the first year would be an appropriate expectation -- well I am ahead of that. At 9 months I have lost 68 pounds. I am not going to sweat it either, after trying for 63 years and now finally turning back the scales is just wonderful. I would do it again. I had no complications and even the pain was not too bad. The nurses would come in and say, "Joyce, you are not using the pain medication that you can have." All I can say is thank God that you are experiencing success. Maybe ask God for a little additional patience. Joyce
Allee Z.
on 3/5/04 12:05 pm - Eastern, IA
Do you know how much you guys were each "bypassed" ... I'm thinking that you have to be bypassed a LOT in order for that part to even have any usefulness. I am bypassed 75 cm or about 29 inches. And I think it is a bunch of hooey that it will cause malabsorption of calories, etc. I feel like if I eat 1000 calories - my body is recognizing each and everyone and assigning it a spot on my hind end or my stomach or my thighs. Right now it's a bit discouraging - as I'm SO CLOSE to my goal, but nothing is coming off!
Anastacha B.
on 3/5/04 10:55 pm - Where's the party?, KS
Boy Latashia, It seems we are all feeling your pain. I was 360 day of surgery and at my 9 month appt I was 263 on my surgeons scale. Now I'm not kicking a 97 pound weight loss. But, I have a long way to go. I see other people that are 6 months out and have already lost 150 pounds. It is so frustrating. Especially since I started out as such a heavyweight. Good Luck! Carmen
hillafb U.
on 3/6/04 8:34 pm - hill afb, ut
Slow loser here.... I have lost 97 pounds and still have around 30 till my goal... you really don't see alot of people posting on how slow they are losing always wow i lost 60 pds in 6 weeks.. wtf?????? I am assuming there are others slow as us cuz if you look at the weight loss planner I am losing quicker than most, so theres alot of us slow losers we just don't post how slow we are doing.. Probably cuz people will tell us to eat right exercise, water, vitamins.. Well I do all of those it's just a slow ride for me but its still a ride..lol.... I am happy to say that I won't need any plastics unless the last 30 makes a huge difference.. So I am glad you posted this.. We will get there.. One day at a time... Congrats on your weightloss so far....
Karissa C.
on 3/6/04 11:19 pm - Richmond, KY
I am 9 months post-op and i have to say that i have lost 100 pds but it seems so flustrating, I have people tell me everyday how they know a friend of a friend that lost this much already and I know that i get flustrated that people judge me because they feel that i should have lost more, well I am young only 20 years old and I am doing my best, so I say this do your best and to anyone who says anything say that to bad you do what you can and that all you can do. My question is I hear so many times that after a year thats it you will not loose any more weight what is the truth in that.
Charlene C.
on 3/7/04 9:27 am - Cayce, SC
Hey no no no you are not the only one. I had my surgery on May 2 03 and I have only lost about 75 pounds. I exercise and do all that I can to. This is the most frustrated I have been yet. Everyone says "you look great you look smaller etc." but that does not help when the scales don't go down. This is driving me crazy! I did not have the surgery to only lose 75lbs. What to do? Please!
AliciasMommy
on 3/10/04 12:58 pm - Sacramento, CA
Nope, You ARENT the only one. I kinda glad to see that I am not the only one either. I feel like I have cheated myself. I started at about 280 and I am at 199 now, I keep setting these mini goals for myself, only to be disappointed because I am nowhere NEAR that damn goal. I, like you also "cheat" sometimes and don't post on here for help because I don't want to get flamed. I just want these last 40 pounds to go and I'll be so happy. I wanted to know what we can do to get through this last stretch? I am 20 and I will STILL need plastic surgery because my lower tummy is so huge and gross. E-mail me if you guys need to, I sure would appreciate it. [email protected]
mardo
on 4/17/04 12:46 pm - austin, tx
I am a slow loser too and am frustrated and discouraged. And I am also thankful to have lost what I have but I didn't undergo such drastic measures to still weigh over 200 pounds. I lost 50 the first three months and for the last 11 months, I lost only 10 pounds every three months. I am down about 80-90 pounds now (I haven't been weighed on my doctors scale in 5 months and it does weigh me at more than mine does). Earlier this week I was so depressed about this that I sat down with jelly beans and ate them til I vomited. I did learn I can't take my depression out with food like I did in the past. If you want to do an accountability e-mail with me I would love the company. We could report what we ate and our exercise. Maybe we slow loser could even make an email chain to encourage and account to each other. [email protected]
Most Active