Gas (farting) problems...?

alsobig
on 3/10/04 6:40 pm - Merrimack, NH
Hello everyone, No way to tip toe around this subject so i am just going to air this one out... (no pun intended) I am 10 months Post Op. I am experiencing terrable gas problems... No matter what I eat.. I am farting all the time.. Some are not so bad but others can clear a warehouse..! Does anyone have this problem... Is it ok to take "beano" or "Gas-X" every day...
heather S.
on 3/12/04 6:22 am - palm bay, fl
your eating carbs... i have major gas problems when i eat carbs, and none at all when i am "no carbing"- i don't think i would take gas-x everyday... and watch your beans! cut back on em'. i love beans too... specially chili, which my nutritionist has taken away from me :o( too high in carbs right now... she said once in awhile only, until i reach my goal... which is about 50 more pounds.
Lisa P.
on 3/19/04 1:42 am - Anaheim Hills, CA
Hi Jeffrey, I have had similar problems, (maybe not as bad...but then, I'm a girl and would never admit to it ). I take tagamet (or the store brand equivalent) at night before bed and it seems to help with the gas. My theory is that gas is actually a by-product of stomach acid. If you take tagamet, it works to eliminate the manufacture of stomach acid, which results in less by-product. Good luck!
Anastacha B.
on 3/20/04 3:29 pm - Where's the party?, KS
Hi Jeffrey, Yes! This can be a problem. I take DEVROM. It is an internal deoderant. I bought it online. You should ask your doctor about it. It does help, but not all the time. I do notice if I stay away from "empty" carbs and fats, also my diet pepsi; that it isn't bad then. Good Luck to you. You may try to eliminate things from your diet one at a time to see what percipitates the problem with you. Carmen Open RNY 5/28/03 398/360/253/125
princess0524
on 3/31/04 9:02 am - Chatsworth, CA
Hi Jeff I found when I eat products that have the ingredient Mannitol or the sugar alcohols that kills me. I prepare for it. If I eat one of those products I give myself 3hrs and make sure I am home
Lisa Pitzer
on 4/13/04 9:03 am - Simpsonville, SC
Whew...I thought I was the only one who...Ummmmm....((blushing))...farted!. I mean...had gas problems! Since I've lost so much weight now...and no fat butt...I can't seem to hold them in!
Cecelia F.
on 4/14/04 1:14 pm - Cincinnati, Oh
Hey Jeffrey...I can sympathize, I have had similar problems. Beano makes me feel sick so I don't know that I would recommend that and Gas X doesn't do much...My suggestion is to really look at the sugar in what you are eating since that is what causes the "room clearing gas"...I have also found that if I just take a day and do only water and pure protein (chicken, shrimp, fish) without any trimmings or sides that it decreases problems with gas...Good luck to you. I can also offer that my mother still have this problem and she is 3 years post op.
Erica K.
on 5/9/04 9:22 am - Levittown, NY
RNY on 05/12/03 with
I can add my name to the list of farters - very embarrassing - since I teach and let loose during lectures - unable to stop myself - when I'm walking on campus I sound like I accompany myself with drums - most of the time I try to move away from small groups of people - or get down-wind of myself With family and friends I just tell them to get ready. Doesn't seem to matter what I eat - I fart all day - can't stop myself - I'm post menopausal and that may add to the problem - had a granny who walked and farted in her later years - maybe genetic? I'm a nurse and the advice to try an antacid at night sounded good - I'm going to give it a try. My other solution for the foul smells of my feces is to carry a matchbook with me all the time - After defecating I strike a a match and the odor is immediately eliminated - I do this in my office too - when someone knocks on the door and I've just let a good one go - works on my incontinent dogs too. :0)
Most Active