Today is my surgery anniversary

Lucy M.
on 6/7/07 9:48 pm - Conway, SC
Today is a very special day for me. It's my 2nd year anniversary for WLS. Yesterday night, I reflected on my life since I had the surgery. My life has totally changed. I am not the same person who I was two years ago. I've lost over 200 pounds with the surgery and over 300 pounds including my loss with weigh****chers. I've done so much in the past two years and have taken many trips. I've had multiple surgeries, some urgent and others to rid of my excess skin following my weight loss. My health is the best it has ever been, except that now I am anemic. That I will address with my doc this morning. I started to date and that's something I haven't done at all in my life. I've been brave and adventurous. Parasailing, snorkeling, taking a hot air balloon ride and a helicopter ride. Tubbing down the river into rocky caves. Next month I will try zipping in the forests of Ketchikan in Alaska. I think that will be my ultimate adventure. I've gone from a size 5x to a small and sometimes an extra small. The physical change has been phenomenal. In my head though I still feel like and see the 485 person I once was! I know that will take some time for me to get adjusted to my new body. I'm wearing bikinis, something I would have never thought I could or would! This second year presented with many challenges for me in terms of my increasing appetite and controlling my eating. Some days were better than others. I have not been able to lose very much more in terms of weight. I think my goal weight will be 155. I was close last October at 158. Now I am around 167. I feel like I let myself down. I know that I am a success but feel bad about this. Starting my journey into my 3rd year, I am going to focus on not being so hard on myself and find a happy medium with my eating and appetite. I definitely can eat a lot more food and don't dump on anything. If I do dump, it's like a hypoglycemic reaction. I don't throw up anymore. I've been too rapped up with the numbers instead of how I feel. I feel marvelous! I have to learn not to be so hard on myself and take things in stride. Yes, I want to lose a few more pounds but I'm not going to drive myself nuts about it. This obsession has to stop! I miss all of you and hope that during our anniversary month, you too reflect on all the positive changes you've made in your life since two years ago. Tonight I will be going out on a date for dinner. This will be my celebration. Being able to socialize and go out on a date is my reward! Hugs, Lucy
Steven K.
on 6/8/07 3:08 am - Berkeley, CA
Today is my surgery anniversary, too! In the last two years I went from 360 lbs to 200, and yes they say I am still obese, however I feel great. Physically I do not have sleep apnia, no hypertension (current 120/70), no diabetes, and only minor arthrius in a knee, so what. My son graduates from UCLA next weekend, I just flew to LA to see him perfom dance with his school (having a full foot of seat belt left over). I am leaving on June 22 for Spain and Italy. I play three rounds of golf a week, walking, my index is 7.7. I now wear 36 inch pants as opposed to 56 inch pants and just yesterday bought a 44 regular sports coat off the rack (and I had choices), my previous sports coat was a 60! I also bought a new swim suit for the trip. Yes, my life is changed too! I will see my daughter get married, and now I do not have to pressure her to hurry cause I won't be there. ... by the way she is in no hurry and tells me her biological clock is not ticking! The only challenges I face are, as with you, increased appetite (thought I have lost 12 lbs in the last year and holding steady), and for me, watching how much I drink, a few drinks and I am blotto! I amd learing to be careful..or quit altogether. So life is good, surgery changed my life and improved the lives of those that are around me. Yes, life is good. Thank God, too! Steve K. 6/7/05 360/200
Lucy M.
on 6/8/07 4:47 am - Conway, SC
Hi Steve. Congratulations on your 2nd year surgianniversary! Yes, life is good and worth living. So much to make up for and so litle time. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Onward toward our third year anniversary. Take care and enjoy your upcoming trips! Lucy
GirlNextDoor_
on 6/8/07 7:29 am - CHESAPEAKE, VA
Today is my anniversary for surgery too! I can't believe two years has passed so fast. I know hot weather does not bother me nearly as bad and I look great in a short skirt again! Thank God! Thank GOD for GOD and for Gastric Bypass! Best Wishes to All! Beverly
Lucy M.
on 6/8/07 11:44 am - Conway, SC
Hi Beverly! Congratulations on your 2nd year surgianniversary! I love the warm weather now. Yes, thank God for this tool. Lucy
kathy C.
on 6/8/07 7:26 am - Equality, IL
We have come such a long way! I have fallen short of my most recent goal(my initial goal was195) & after reading your letter I'm going to try not to be so hard on myself becuse I feel & look so much better. I started out @350 then lost 20# to weigh 330 on the day of surgery. This am I weighed 176. I can fit into a booth at restaurants, I can go to the movie & still breathe while sitting in the seats at the theater. I'm planning a trip to Cancun. I surely won't need an extender this time. My diabetes is under control & I no longer need medication for that. Another plus is I am able to help my husband in his business because he has been very sick for almost 2 years. The past few months have been difficult due to an increased appetite. I got down to 170 at one point but continue to fluctuate. i can wear a size 12 pants now b4 I wore a 26 & 4x or 5x top. I wish you continued success! We have so much to be thankful for. Take good care, Kathy C.
Lucy M.
on 6/8/07 11:47 am - Conway, SC
Hi Kathy. Congratulations not only on your 2nd year surgianniversary but all that you've accomplished! We do have so much to be thankful for. I didn't realize that there were many of us who had WLS on the same day in June! Take care. Lucy
Wendy Kipp
on 6/11/07 6:01 am - MI
Congratulations on your surgiversay Lucy! You have done great and deserve all that life is bringing you. Love you lots! Wendy
Lucy M.
on 6/11/07 5:26 pm - Conway, SC
Hi Wendy! I miss you and others on this board. It seems like we've all faded away even during our anniversary month! It's been a tough and grueling year. Job that I hate, multiple surgeries and emotional rollercoaster with looking for a partner (relationship). Yeah, I thought with losing the weight, it would be the answer to everything, Reality set in; it's not! Wishing you a very happy and healthy 2nd year surgianniversary too! Thanks for your message. Love you too! Lucy
Most Active
Recent Topics