Four Years Today

Debra H.
on 6/28/09 8:22 pm - Camden, NY
Hi My June Friends,
It's been a long time since I've posted. I've done pretty well. My weight stabalized at a loss of 90 lbs. I go up or down within 10 lbs. I have a limit and if I even approach that limit I take a close look at what I'm doing.

Exercise has been my biggest obstacle. I think I could have lost all of my weight if I could do more exercise. I had a severe hip injury one year out from my surgery, which subsequently led to a labral repair (same as Alex Rodrequez). Unfortunately I ended up having a total hip replacement one year ago. It has taken me all of this year to try to recover from that as my back problems were really put into high gear from all of this. But.... I keep plugging along. I cannot image how difficult this would have been had I not had gastric bypass and lost all this weight.

I still dump very easily, so I have to watch what eat. I DO NOT drink with my meals, and cannot drink within 15-30 minutes of eating or I will dump. I will probably never tolerate beef. And sugar.... well let's say I still can't have more than 7 grams at one time. This is all fine with me.

I had an endoscopy done earlier this year and the gastro that did it was so surprised that almost four years out my pouch still would only hold about 4-6 ounces. That was awesome.

So all in all I'm doing well. I miss all of you and hope you are doing well too. By the way, my sister Tammy and I are still leading support group twice a month here in Camden, and I think it keeps both of us honest.

Take care,
Debra
ALESIA1966
on 7/1/09 12:31 am - New Bern, NC
Hi Debra,

Congrats on your 4 yr surgiversary, we've come a long way ...For myself, I made it past the docs goal to my personal goal, then rebounded 10lbs...It is much harder to give up the little things that I've allowed to creep back in to my diet, so even though I would like to give up the rebound lbs, they continue to stick...

Have you tried water aerobics, the water helps reduce the stress on your joints and might be a good exercise alternative...

You've done great, good luck in the next year...

Alesia : start 249 / surgeon's goal 138 / current 142  

Debra H.
on 7/1/09 12:45 am - Camden, NY

Haven't tried the water yet. Now that summer is here I plan on using my sister's pool. With my work schedule it's hard to get to classes when they are in session. I leave at 6:30 in the morning and get home at 6:30 at night, exhausted. But I'm going to give it a shot.

I rebounded a bit with my weight, but my doc this is not unusual and he has come to expect a 10-20 rebound. A little scary though when you go through all of this. But I think 4 yrs is a great point to see success. I have never kept weight off within 10 lbs for more than 6 months before my surgery, so I consider this a complete success.

I agree though, that the further out we are the more conscious we have to be.

I wish you the best in the next year as well.

Debra

Debra Harlander

RNY 6/28/05  247/230/151/137

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body...... but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW"!!!- what a ride!"

Most Active
Recent Topics