Protein ideas wanted

KC
on 4/12/07 1:13 am - Houston, TX
Okay, lately as I have subcombed to the carb monster time and time again, it occurs to me that I need to revisit the idea of quick, easy protein ideas -- ones that I can carry in my purse or put in the frig at work to keep me from being tempted to hit the vending machines. So, I'm looking for your input - what protein ideas do you use that help you get through the day or are great when you are running from place to place with no time to stop and prepare a meal. My ideas are: Cheese sticks and cubes (getting a little tired of the mozz) soy chips boiled eggs (have lots from Easter) beef jerkey (which I'm not terribly fond of but it's edible) What are your ideas? Another good thing I've found which - although a carb - is great on the run. McDonald's sells Little Dippers for $1. It's a bag of apple slices with a tiny tub of carmel sauce. Wonderful when you need just a little something but don't have time for more than the drive-thru. Sometimes I have the carmel, sometimes not.
Jennifer K.
on 4/12/07 1:45 am - Phoenix , AZ
I like the carb & sugar control yogurt from dannon... I will cut up 1/2 a granny smith apple and use the yogurt as a dip... works well with other fruit too. Roasted soy nuts... dont have much of a taste to me but great crunch... they sell flavors too... I usually just get the sea salted ones Snack mix... I buy at the health food store, they have a zillion types... I go for one lower in carbs and fat... theres one called Mexi-Cali Fire that is good and spiiiicey Meat and Cheese roll ups - I like turkey and munster, easy snack and 1 or two do it Natural pnut butter- right off the spoon or on an apple or a few crackers... there is a good one jiffy or skippy or something makes that doesnt seperate so you dont get that oil on the top South Beach Hi Protein Cereal Bars - the pnut butter is my fav... I keep them in my desk along with the soy nuts Dried veggie chips - also bought at the health food store... they really dont have much taste but are a good crunch and good way to get veggies in (not good on the protein but still a good snack!!) they sell them here in bins so you can take as much or little as you want Luna Bars - good protein, not too high in carbs and sugar.. Ill eat 1/2 now and then as a snack the Lemon, Chai Tea and Dulce Du Leche (sp?) are my Favs.. I also like Detour Bars - pnut butter but they make me gassy (TMI right??) Pepperoni Chips - you can do in microwave or bake in oven, use turkey roni for less fat - you just zap/coo****il crispy... good substitue for crackers or if you want a crunch, you can also do the same with cheese slices (real cheese not cheese food) and make your own "cheese-its" if you search on food.com for lo-carb receipes you can find both on there Hope this gives you a few ideas!!
Misty A.
on 4/13/07 12:32 am - White House, TN
Karen, a few weeks ago I discovered the PowerCrunch Bars. They are realyl good. Tehy ahve about 13 grams of protein and they are not thick hard bars. It is a wafer bar - exactley like a nutty buddy. They come in all different flavors but I have been eating Peanut Butter Creme and Choclate PEanut Butter (see the peanut butter theme LOL). You should give one a try. You can get them from baratriceating.com or the Vitamin Shoppe (online or at the store if you have one in your area). Good luck finding somethign that works best for you and that is great that you are trying to get back on track. Misty
tall_girl99_2000
on 4/15/07 12:28 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi Karen, I started buying protein bars at Walmart. They are only 50 cents (cheaper than a candy bar) and not only do they satisfy me, they have 20 grams of protein. I like the peanut butter and the chocolate chip the best. They dont taste bad either.
jdruski
on 4/17/07 3:27 am - Philadelphia, PA
Sci Fit makes a fat free beef stick. It has 80 calories, no fat and 13 grams of protein. It is chewy. I like them more than plain beef jerky. You can buy samples at vitalady.com You can also buy a case of 20. Hope that helps. Jeanne
heathermp
on 5/14/07 2:58 pm - Waunakee, WI
I like: ZONE protein bars Small cans of tuna with the pull tops (or bags of tuna) Lattes made with skim milk and sugar free sweetener (made by O'Monin) Pretzels and then I dip them in low fat cream cheese I also eat a lot of the "Smart Ones" forzen meals.. much easier than cooking!
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 years!
Jennifer K. · 1 replies · 623 views
Thinking of revision
Elana P. · 1 replies · 716 views
8 Years today
Frank D. · 1 replies · 794 views
8 years!
Jennifer K. · 2 replies · 653 views
7 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 712 views