Sugar?

Alice_D
on 4/12/07 1:56 am
I have read a few of the post where people can eat candy bars. I can not eat any of that it makes me so sick. Last night was a prime example, my mom felt sorry for me, that everybody was eating candy and pie but I couldn't so she made me a sugarfree Fat Free chocolate pie, well I think one of the regular chocolate pies got mixed up and she sent it home with me. I had a piece for a snack but a few minutes later it made an encore appearence. I got all sweaty and sick to my stomach. I not complaining that I can't have that kind of food, because if I could eat it I probly would try. I never like popcorn before but since my surgery I eat it and like it Has any body not liked something and after surgery like it?
Elisa V. from
Houston, TX

on 4/12/07 6:06 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 06/27/06 with
I no longer have problems with sugar.
KC
on 4/12/07 6:28 am - Houston, TX
If the chocolate pie had milk in it, you might have reacted to that and not sugar. Or they could have been switched. I wish I had your problem but I don't have much problem with sugar anymore if I don't over do it. If I eat too much, I get extremely tired and I have "bowel issues". So I can have a little -- but not the bagful like pre-surgery.
Jennifer K.
on 4/12/07 11:08 pm - Phoenix , AZ
You very may well have eaten the sugar free chocolate pie... I have found post-op I am more sensitive to sugar-free products (loaded with sugar alcohol typically) then I am to sugar. If you read packages of sugar-free products they usually all say "may cause laxative effect" or something to that effect... soooo keep that in mind! I find post-op I am open to trying more foods that I wouldnt try pre-op... I have not come across anything I didnt like before that I do like now... there are, however, lots I liked before I do not like now. (i.e. mcdonalds!)
Misty A.
on 4/13/07 12:38 am - White House, TN
Alice. It does sound like you had a dumping syndrome. I agree with everyone else, you could have gotten the sugar free but had a problem with the Milk or whatever type of sweetner was used. Or, you definatley did get one with sugar. I guess it is hard to know. I am not sure I react to sugar because io have never really tried to eat a whole candy bar or anything with sugar in it more thna 13 grams. So, If I want something sweet, I eat one bite of a candy bar or something small like one hershey kiss or a miniture goodbar. Small little pieces that have less than like 5 grams of sugar. I do not want to risk having a dumping syndrome! I think that scaredness keeps me from trying to much sugar - which is probably a good thing because if I knew I could tolerate it I am afraid I would want it to much. And yes, there are a lot of things I liked before surgery and do not like now (like bread) and there are things that I did not care for before surgery but like now (like Ketchup and crab legs - not together of course). Misty
Alice_D
on 4/13/07 4:14 am
I looked on the suger free pudding pkg and there was no sugar alcohols. I try not to eat alot of those either, but sugar really knocks me out. The milk was lowfat. I never had a reaction like that to sf pudding before so thats why I am thinking it was not sf. I also can't eat Bread it feels like it is swelling up in there and i get a stomach ache. Am I not normal or what? I am not losing as fast I don't think as everybody else. I know every body is different but, my scale says I only lost about 127 pounds I am getting enough protein and I even joined a gym. My scale still says the same for the last 5 weeks. I bought smaller clothes a month ago that didn't fit and now they do but the scale won't budge. (I need a new scale lol)
brenda F.
on 4/13/07 8:02 am - whitney, TX
Hi ...i'm 9 mo's out and somedays suger gets me and some days it don't , but i try to stay away from it only aa few graims it i do .....sometimes s/free stuff gets me ...Brenda in tx
Robin R.
on 4/14/07 12:27 am - Livonia, MI
Oatmeal. I have ALWAYS hated it since I was a child. I remember eating it once as a child and it made me sick to my stomach. Now, I eat a package EVERY morning of Qucker Weight Control Banana Bread or Maple and Brown Sugar. I have done this since I was on the mushy stage. Isn't that weird? Robin
LabRat
on 4/16/07 11:06 am - Jacksonville, FL
I don't have problem with sugar...until the next day! Then I also have bathroom issues. I have problems with bread/pasta. There were very few things that I didn't like before surgery (liver and brussel sprouts were 2 of the few and I still won't eat those). I haven't noticed anything else though. I have a hard time with some dairy products and I didn't have any problem with them before surgery. Crystal
DanaP
on 5/4/07 5:33 am - Longboat Key, FL
I can not tolerate much sugar, 3 bites can make me sick with a headache. But it seems to be refined white sugar. I can tolerate honey and natural sugars, like wine, and artifical sugars depending on what type is used. Milk was a big issue but I think I will eventually tolerate milk without a problem. I buy the Carb Count Down milk drink just to be safe, but can tolerate a small amount of sf ice cream. I too, like the idea of not being able to eat sugar. I even told my surgeon to fix my guts so I would dump! I have had no problem finding wonderful sugar free products such as homemade apple pies from a local restaurant to fill an occasional craving. Sugar is what helped get my obese to begin with. so I thank God I can not tolerate it now!! Dana
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 years!
Jennifer K. · 1 replies · 623 views
Thinking of revision
Elana P. · 1 replies · 716 views
8 Years today
Frank D. · 1 replies · 794 views
8 years!
Jennifer K. · 2 replies · 653 views
7 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 712 views