Concerned about weight gain

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/07 3:01 am - Plano, TX
I'm just a little past my surgiversary date of June 12th, and I'm a little concerned. I have plateaued at 185, but that's not what concerns me. It appears that all the people I have known that have had this surgery before me (you know, people who are out 2+ years) have gained some, if not all, of their weight back. This worries me! I don't want to gain my weight back!!! I know what I must do to keep it off and all, but have any of you noticed this too?
Carolyn L.
on 7/10/07 6:56 am - Northborough, MA
I have roved the graduates board and have a friend who is 3 years post op and what I've noticed is the people *****gain tend to be missing or not doing enough exercise. They talk about what they're eating and then as an afterthought put in ... oh, and I haven't exercised in 6 months.... like that part is irrelevant. I personally grew up with thin people and they exercised (and still do) every day of their lives. They also keep a close eye on their weight and when they gain a few pounds they up their exercise until the weight comes back down. Due to rebelliousness about other aspects of my parents I dismissed this aspect of their personalities but in my therapy I've learned to parse out the parts of my raising I want to keep from the parts I want to reject. My parents focus on health is something I want to keep, their over-focus on looks is something I want to reject. Just my $.02. Carolyn
CyndiU
on 7/11/07 12:40 pm - Hartford, SD
Most of the friends I've know with RNY, gained back some, but not a lot. Again, the amount they gained back had much to do with their diet and exercise. I am very afraid of gaining it back. I have arthritis and sometimes exercise is difficult, but I try to keep active. Also I am starting to snack - and I know how bad this is for me. Lets work hard and support one another; we want to be a good statistic.
Jennifer K.
on 7/13/07 1:21 am - Phoenix , AZ
I have a friend who is 7 years out who gained weight... she started at 280 (shes only 5'3") and lost only 80lbs, gained back 50lbs and since then has lost 10lbs on her own. Right out the gate she did not follow Drs orders and was "cheating" days after her surgery... she never exercised and never changed her eating habits. My best friend is 6 years out... she started at 380+ and is now a size 6... she had a 40lbs weight gain about 2 years ago but it was due to Welbutrin... as soon as she stopped taking it she lost the weight. She has completely changed her life and sticks to the post-op eating plan given by the surgeon... she is also very active and exercise is a part of her daily life. I think those who do not take the time to change or the ones who let bad habits sneak back in are the ones who gain again... the surgery "fixes" the body but its you who has to fix your mind! I can say that I will never ever let the weight come back... I know its something for the rest of my life I am going ot have to keep an eye on but Ive come too far to go back.
Jennifer K.
on 8/24/07 3:13 am - Phoenix , AZ
My friend is 6 years out... she did gain back 40lbs but it was because of Welbutrin... she stopped taking it and lost the 40lbs. After maintaing her loss for 2 years she had PS a year ago and still maintains her weight. I think the first year post-op is extremely important to develope good eating habits. People who gain weight back do so because they are not following the rules they were taught. I think people get too comfortable in the first 18 months or so where you can do pretty much what you want and still lose/maintain. Eventually your body will adjust and thats when the weight gain starts!
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 years!
Jennifer K. · 1 replies · 624 views
Thinking of revision
Elana P. · 1 replies · 718 views
8 Years today
Frank D. · 1 replies · 795 views
8 years!
Jennifer K. · 2 replies · 655 views
7 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 713 views