Recent Posts

Jennifer K.
on 6/15/09 5:30 am - Phoenix , AZ
Topic: Happy 3 years out!
Just wanted to give a little update... this week I hit my 3 year surgery anniversary! Thankfully not to much to report... I have been maintaining my goal weight for the past 1.5 years. Plastic surgery is on my mind almost everyday (especially come summer) and I am hopeful that in the near future I can have my first procedure done. Just had bloodwork and everything was excellent except my ferrtin levels were low... but that can easily be corrected. I still take all my vitamins and suppliments each and every day.... I never miss! (chomping on my calcium as I type!). Overall feeling pretty much 'normal'. I went from a size 22/24 top and 28 pants to now wearing medium tops and size 8 in pants (give or take, sizes are so crazy!! lol).
Any questions feel free to ask! To all those newbies out there just keeping hanging in there and doing all the things necessary to not only lose the weight but keep it off!

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Lori .
on 5/24/09 1:26 pm - Shuswaps, Canada
Topic: RE: Anyone having problems with Anemia?
It's been a while since I posted, but thought I would weigh in on this.  I too have been severely anemic, most due to a recent development of fibroids.  So while I wait for a hysterectomy, I am on a daily dose of oral iron and biweekly injections.  I have less hair now than I did at that 3-7 month post op stage.  I definitely feel the fatigue.  

Your iron should not normally be that low if you are taking oral iron, or a good multivitamin, and eating heme sources of iron.  Often there is something else that contributes to really low levels, as in my case and Tracy's case.

Good luck getting this sorted out.

Lori
Tiffany W
on 3/25/09 5:22 am - PITTSBURGH, PA
Topic: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
I was just diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).  My surgeon recommended I see an endocrinologist, because he thought more might be going on with me that was contributing to my weight gain.  I've gained 16 pounds from my all time low weight after surgery.  The endocrinologist diagnosed me with PCOS and is going to be putting me on some sort of appetite suppressant for a short period of time (2 mos or less) along with a low cal diet, upping my exercise, and closely monitoring my insulin levels.  Looks like I'll be eating a low-glycemic diet from now on...which isn't far from what we "should" be eating after surgery anyway.

I'm wondering if anyone here has been diagnosed with PCOS?  And if so...

how has it affected your post surgery weight?  Have you gained?  If so, how much over what period of time?

Do/did you have trouble conceiving due to PCOS?  I've heard not all women have trouble getting preggers with PCOS, but a lot of women do. 

What treatments have you tried in order to control your PCOS?

Thanks for sharing your info!
Traci L.
on 2/22/09 5:45 am - Henderson, NY
Topic: RE: Anyone having problems with Anemia?
Hi there.   I actually got an ulcer last Christmas ('07) from taking motrin on the advice of my cardiologist... even though I told him I wasn't supposed to take it.  Anyway, I ended up getting 3 units of blood transfused and spending about 5 days in the hospital.  I had been so ridiculously tired and run down, I finally got a blood test this past December and found I was severely anemic.  My PCP told me to go on almost 1000 mg of iron a day (one tablet 3 times a day) and after 6 weeks, my numbers were back up where they're supposed to be and I feel tons better.  I wish you luck.  If your doc won't help you, seek help elsewhere!
Traci
Traci L.
on 2/22/09 5:38 am - Henderson, NY
Topic: RE: Alcohol Consumption and WLS
Good advice, Becky.  I'm so sorry for what you're going through.  I, too, was into drinking for a while... transferred addiction... but get sick just thinking about it now.  I'll be praying for you. Divorce would be such a shame... it sounds like you love him very much.  I hope your kids come around, too.  WLS certainly doesn't make our emotional lives any easier, does it? 
Best wishes,
Traci
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/09 2:20 am - Plano, TX
Topic: Alcohol Consumption and WLS

I posted this in a couple of other message boards, but thought I should post it here.  Please read!

There are many articles out there about alcohol consumption and WLS.  Doctors are warning people to limit alcohol intake because we don't metabolize it like a normal person.  5 oz of wine put you over the legal limit.

Now I'm going to speak from experience and I hope you listen.  Don't just limit your alcohol intake.  DON'T DRINK AT ALL!!!  One of the things that can happen is "addiction transfer."  This is where you used to be addicted to food, but now you've replaced it with the next best comfort, which is alcohol.  I've been married for 27 years.  I have four grown children.  My husband is the most wonderful man that ever lived and I was looking forward to spending the rest of our lives as empty-nesters.  Last Saturday he told me to leave after a major drunk binge the night before.  He'd had it and was done with me.  I am living alone now and my husband is hurt and wants a divorce.  After watching me get drunk every weekend for the past two years, he finally said enough.  I am praying that we can work it out and he doesn't divorce me.  But right now he only wants to be friends.  I am 46 years old and never had a drinking problem before.  I don't crave it, but once I start, I can't stop and I get black-out drunk.  It has cost me my beautiful home and my family.  My kids won't speak to me, and my husband is gone!  It's not worth it!

Please say a prayer for me and don't EVER drink again!

discogal
on 12/22/08 5:36 am - Fort Worth, TX
Topic: RE: June 06 Lapbanders out there?
Hey! I was banded june 20, 06. I am just now back on track after regaining lots of my weight while I was unfilled for pregnancy. I'm now 6 wks postpartum but need to lose 20 pounds just to get back to prepregnancy.

Why are you discouraged? With band problems or problems losing?

Hugs,
Linsey
..*.. BEEEEEEEEEE HEALTHY..*..
Jennifer K.
on 10/1/08 12:52 am - Phoenix , AZ
Topic: RE: get my butt firm again
I did MSNs "fastest body makeover ever" workout and got excellent all over results - if you go to msn.com and click on health & fitness you can search exercises - they have ones specifically for the butt, most include pictures and step by step instructions. Ive used a few different workouts from them and loved it!

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

CyndiU
on 9/1/08 12:28 pm - Hartford, SD
Topic: RE: get my butt firm again
I wish...I feel like a shar-pei dog...all saggy and baggy!  LOL  I cannot afford PS, but sure would like it . 
setretha
on 8/25/08 5:20 pm - strasburg, VA
Topic: get my butt firm again
any suggestions on getting my sagging buns a tightening?
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 years!
Jennifer K. · 1 replies · 624 views
Thinking of revision
Elana P. · 1 replies · 718 views
8 Years today
Frank D. · 1 replies · 795 views
8 years!
Jennifer K. · 2 replies · 655 views
7 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 713 views