Surgery date July 9 ! Pre-op liquid diet started.

Laura_Illinois
on 6/27/09 1:57 am - Morris, IL

Hello all,
Good luck to all my fellow July surgery patients. I just received my insurance confirmation yesterday! All systems straight ahead!

I was getting worried because my doctor put me a very strict pre-op diet and went ahead and scheduled a surgery date even though my insurance had not approved it yet.

(He felt I was not going to have a problem and he was right. Of course I've been going through all the pre-surgery hoops since November 2008 and I have lost 31 lbs on my own so far.)

Yesterday I started a low-carb low-sugar liquid diet. (Though I do get to eat cottage cheese, skim milk, and low-fat diet yogurt in very limited quaties.)

I was told you can lose an average of 14 lbs. if you start this diet 2 weeks before surgery.

My diet yesterday consisted of:
Breakfast: 1 Dannon Fit & Trim  yogurt
Snack: 1/2 can of Slim Fast Optima
Lunch: 1/2 Cup of Low-fat Cottage Chesse
Snack: 1/2 can of Slim Fast Optima
Snack: 1 single serving size Sugar-free Jello Choc. Pudding
Dinner: 1/2 Cup of Cottage Cheese
Snack: 1 single serving size Sugar-free Jello Choc. Pudding

And all the water and crystal light ice tea I want.
Plus 2 childrens chewable vitamins w/ breakfast
1- 1000 mcg. B-12-SL w/breakfast
6- Citracal + Vitamin D petites (wait 2 hrs. after taking vitamins, then I take 2 every few hours throughout the day for a total of 1200 mg daily)

You can have  unlimited servings of coffee, tea, sugar-free jello and sugar-free popsicles.

How does this compare to your pre-op diets?

I was told this diet makes it easier to perform surgery, because the sugar levels are lowered in your liver and which causes it to shrink slightly making easier access to the stomach and intestines.

If life knocks you down 7 times, get up 8!Laura_Illinois

PoohkinandPiglet
on 6/27/09 2:09 am - TX
Congratulations, Laura!  You're on your way to the loser's bench!  I start my liquid diet on Tuesday.   I'm getting a bit nervous about it.

I"ve been reading a lot about vitamins and many RNY patients have found the children's chewable vitamins are not enough and end up vit. deficient.  If you don't want to buy the bariatric multivitamins, two Central Silver chewables a day are a better option than the Flintstones.    There's a lot of info on the main boards if you search.

Good luck on your big day!

Laura_Illinois
on 6/27/09 3:03 am - Morris, IL
Hi PoohkinandPiglet:

Thanks for your comments.

I'm using a "health food store brand" called Nutri Stars (tasty too, but low sugar). I'm taking them just until the first month post-op is over, than I'll switch to an Adult vitamin w/Iron afterwards.

Chewables are just for while I'm healing from surgery. Actually, my surgeon said don't buy anything real expensive. He recommended Walgreens generic adult vitamins with Iron for when I'm healed up, along with the Calcium citrate + D and B-12-SL forever.

I will be getting a 3 month post-op vitamin deficiency blood panel from my Nutritionist.

I'm aware of how careful you have to be not to become too vitamin deficient, so I'm going to be careful.

I wanted the bariatric multivitamins but the hospital pharmacy was out of stock and I needed something right away.

Thanks, have a great weekend.

PoohkinandPiglet
on 6/27/09 7:37 am - TX
Good luck on your surgery--- it's going to be here before you know it!
saletiajohnson
on 6/29/09 5:42 am - anchorage, AK
Doesn't it suck that we go on  DIET right before a majore eating BBQ day!  oH well I geuss we've had enough 4th of july goodness lol.
PoohkinandPiglet
on 6/29/09 7:46 am - TX
Yes, it does!!!!   :scared1: 

My daughter's 8th birthday is Friday and I ordered the most fabulously delicious cake from our favorite bakery.  BOO HOO!  I'll be drinking a wonderfully delicious protein shake instead.  No BBQ and no cake.  Yeah, Me!  

Pity Party  :charac2:   I know it'll be worth it in the end. 
Laura_Illinois
on 6/29/09 12:29 pm - Morris, IL
Hi saletiajohnson,
Yes, it does suck we can't participate in the 4th of July buffet.  But let's think positive about how good we're going to look next 4th of July! Oh yeah!!!
Laura
KristeMitchell
on 6/27/09 2:19 pm
Hello!
My surgery is the day after yours! I started a low carb/ no starch diet last Monday.  I have lost 5 lbs so far.  It's not too bad, but it's not as restrictive as yours.  I get to eat meat, fruit, veggies, and low fat dairy.  I go on a clear liquid diet the day before.  Good luck!!

Laura_Illinois
on 6/27/09 4:01 pm - Morris, IL
Good Luck to you too! We'll have to compare notes after surgery. I'm having a open long-limb gastric by-pass. (3 hr. surgery) .

I won't weigh in again until July 2 when I meet with the anesthesiologist. Hopefully, I'll have dropped some more lbs.
Sabrenia8888
on 6/27/09 9:23 pm - Orlando, FL
Wishing you much success Laura!!! Congrats on your date!!!
Ms. Exquisite
"Obstacles are what we see when we take our eyes off the goal"  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 834 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 708 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 948 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1038 views